What We Know About the iPhone 8 Leak
When was the last time we were genuinely surprised by one of Apple’s “… and one more thing” announcements? It’s the phrase that gave us FaceTime, the iPod Shuffle, and Apple TV. At the time, nobody knew those things were coming.
Today, we live in a different landscape. Every new feature has been leaked to the press months in advance. As a result, the Apple conferences don’t come with the same air of anticipation that they used to.
It looks like this year’s iPhone update event — which is widely expected to be held in September — will be no different. Following a recent leak, we already have a good idea of what the new device will offer.
- No More Touch ID: It looks like Touch ID is going to be dropped in favor of a facial recognition app. Codenamed “Pearl ID,” it will use an infrared-based system like Windows Hello.
- No More Home Button: The Home Button has been one of the iPhone’s defining features. However, it looks like the iPhone 8 will finally do away with a physical button and replace it with an Android-esque virtual button.
- iPhone Pro: We don’t even know if the iPhone 8 will be called “iPhone 8”. It’s currently got the code name of D22. Some insiders are saying Apple will rebrand its top-end device as the iPhone Pro instead.
- Full-Size Screen: Leaked code for HomePod and Apple Pay suggests the phone will ditch the borders around the screen. Instead, there will just be a small bezel to protect the edges.
- Fewer Colors: We don’t know for sure, but it also seems Apple will cut back on the choice of colors available. You might be restricted to just black or white.
Of course, this all good be a giant ruse from Apple. There are plenty of Apple rumors that never came true . Remember, this is a big event for Apple. It will mark the 10-year anniversary of the iPhone’s original release. Perhaps it has something special up its sleeve.
What are you hoping to see? Let us know in the comments.