Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
If you are an avid outdoor traveling enthusiast, check out ViewRanger. It is a complete offline mapping, navigation and guided trail GPS app for Outdoor travelers. It designed mainly for Hiking, Mountain Biking, Cycling, Horse Riding, Nature watching and other outdoor activities. It is available as a mobile app for your smartphone with complementary web based tools to help you at every stage of your adventure.
ViewRanger includes a rich set of functions and features needed for even the most fanatic outdoor travelers, so you can use it instead of a separate dedicated GPS device. It comes with with a choice of global open-source maps (e.g. OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap) that are automatically streamed to your phone and can be downloaded for offline use. (Some maps aren’t free, though, and you might have to pay depending on your specific location)
It lets you track your location, view your trip on the map and see related stats. Plan and create your own trip or download ready trips from their massive library of community generated walks and cycle rides, which are enhanced with local knowledge shared by community experts. Download the app it to your mobile device from their website. It is available for iOS, Android and Symbian mobile platforms.
- Replacement for expensive dedicated outdoor GPS navigators
- Record your trips and adventures
- View trips stats – distance, speed etc.
- Synce your trip data to connected devices and to your online account
- Real-time location sharing on Facebook, Twitter through BuddyBeacon
- Download maps for offline use
- Can be used virtually anywhere in the world
- Partners with international topographic agencies to supply the most accurate mapping information
- Automatically streams local mapping information to your mobile device
- Premium (paid) maps available
- Similar tools – Antimap Log and ikiMap.