Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
Are you looking to discover the world of Usenet? There is a lot you can do on the newsgroups, but learning how to use it can be rather complicated.
Our new tips and trick guide for Usenet will guide you through getting everything up and running. You will be able to use all the file sharing and other features with the knowledge gained from our free cheat sheet.
Please find the contents of the cheat sheet below.
Places to find Content
Free Usenet Clients
- Newsflash Plus – (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- SABnzbd – (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Binreader – (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- PAN Newsreader – (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Newsbin (top paid client; $30 one-time fee) – (Windows)
Tips for Choosing a Provider
- Days of Full Binary Retention – Retention is the number of days you’re guaranteed to be able access to a file after its posting date. Mostly, providers offer around 200 days. See if that’s enough.
- Monthly Transfer – Total amount of data you can download in a month. Usually in GB.
- Connections – The number of simultaneous connections you can make at a single time. Usually you are provided with a sufficient amount of connections, regardless of the chosen account type.
- Security – If you want to make your data transfer even more secure, you might want to check extra security offers from your provider.
- Support – Sometimes you need to contact your provider and it’s always better if their support has a decent response time.
- Cancellation and Trial Periods – It’s always a good idea to try their services without paying anything ahead. Just to check if everything fits your needs.
Top Usenet Providers
- UseNetServer – (starting at $10/month)
- Newshosting – (starting at $9.99/month)
- EasyNews – (starting at $9.98/month)
- NewsDemon – (starting at $2/month)
- Astraweb – (starting at $10/month)
You may also download this cheat sheet in PDF format as seen in the image above.