Plex is most known for playing almost every video and audio file, regardless of format. It also includes fantastic metadata capabilities, meaning as long as you’ve correctly named the original media file, it can pull in episode synopses, cast lists, etc.
But there’s another often underappreciated side to the app: TV Channels. Some channels are available in the official Channel Directory, but that’s only half the story. There are hundreds more channels available through the Unsupported App Store.
Here’s how to install the Plex Unsupported App Store and unlock the extra content.
How to Install the Plex Unsupported App Store
- Download the WebTools software from GitHub.
- Unzip WebTools.bundle.
- Move the unzipped version of WebTools.bundle into the Plex Plugins folder. (Windows users can find it at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\, Mac users at ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins, and Linux users at $PLEX_HOME/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins.
- Within Plex, go to Channels > Unsupported AppStore.
- Copy and paste the supplied URL into your browser.
- Log in with your Plex credentials.
- Find a channel and click Install to add it to Plex.
Note: The above instructions assume Plex is already installed on your machine.
Have you installed the Unsupported App Store? Which channels would you recommend to someone who’s just installed the app for the first time?