Toxic Water is an interesting Google Maps mashup from New York Times, which lets you find out if there are any water polluters in your area. The application compiles data on more than 200,000 US facilities that have permits to discharge pollutants with the information on their compliance.
You can search the site by a zip code or browse by state and city. All facilities are mapped and presented with colored markers. Violators are marked with an orange color. Hovering over the marker reveals the name of the facility and the number of violations it has.
- Find water polluters near you.
- Compiles data on more than 200,000 US facilities with the information on their compliance.
- The data comes from two sources: the Environmental Protection Agency and the California State Water Resources Control Board.
- Search by zip code or browse by state.
- Water polluters are presented with orange markers.
- Similar websites: MapEcos.
Check out Toxic Water @ http://projects.nytimes.com/toxic-waters/polluters