Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
YouTube has revealed the most popular videos to be published on its platform in 2016. There are celebrities galore, zombies, Donald Trump, and that dumb “Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen” thing. Thus proving the internet will watch anything these days. As long as it’s on YouTube.
With over 1 billion users, an archive containing millions of videos, and many more uploaded every day, YouTube is an incredible resource. However, while many of us watch educational channels on YouTube, the vast majority of people use it for purely entertainment purposes.
The Top 10 videos of 2016 prove this point…
- Adele Carpool Karaoke
- What’s inside a Rattlesnake Rattle?
- Nike Football Presents: The Switch ft. Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Anthony Martial & More
- Grace VanderWaal: 12-Year-Old Ukulele Player Gets Golden Buzzer – America’s Got Talent 2016
- Water Bottle Flip Edition | Dude Perfect
- Channing Tatum’s “Run The World (Girls)” vs. Jenna Dewan-Tatum’s “Pony” | Lip Sync Battle
- Donald Trump: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
- THE $21,000 FIRST CLASS AIRPLANE SEAT
- Brothers Convince Little Sister of Zombie Apocalypse
As YouTube states in its blog post revealing the Top 10, “collectively these 10 videos have 550 million views and were watched for over 25 million hours”. What’s more, “the channels behind them collectively have more than 40 million subscribers who tune in regularly to watch the funny, insightful, entertaining things they create”.
YouTube Rewind: The Ultimate Challenge
As well as compiling a list of the biggest videos of 2016, YouTube has published its annual YouTube Rewind video. Every year this epic effort brings together the biggest and brightest talent on YouTube, which in 2016 comprised of “more than 200 YouTube stars from 18 countries”.
The 2016 YouTube Rewind video is designed to “pay homage to the biggest videos, memes, channels, songs, and pop culture moments of the year”. For the truly nerdy among you, YouTube has created a Rewind quiz which sets you the challenge of identifying all of the references in the video.
How often do you watch YouTube videos? Do you start on the YouTube homepage and browse? Or do you tend to stick to videos shared by family and friends? What YouTube video of 2016 do you think deserves a bigger audience? Please let us know in the comments below!
Image Credit: Rego Korosi via Flickr