Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
In February 2018, Google rolled out a new feature in its Photos web app: themed movies. It lets you create a film based on important people or special events. The tool will edit all the images together into a seamless show and allow you to add a background audio track.
If you have a keen eye, you might have noticed that Google Photos created themed movies automatically for you in the past–the difference is you can now create one whenever you wish.
Lots of different themes are available. For example, you can create a memorial video for someone who’s recently passed, a collage of your selfies, or a video of cat photos. So, how do you use the new feature? Let’s take a closer look.
How to Make Themed Movies in Google Photos
To make a themed movie in Google Photos, just follow the simple step-by-step instructions below.
- Navigate to photos.google.com and enter your Google credentials.
- In the panel on the left-hand side of the Photos window, select Assistant.
- Under Create New, click on Movie.
- Choose the type of themed movie you want to create.
- Google will make suggestions about the type of content it will include. For example, the Smiles of 2017 theme “works best if you have lots of photos with smiles”.
- Click on Create Movie.
The process could take a long time, depending on the number of photos you’re adding to the movie. When it’s ready, you will receive an on-screen notification. You will find your video in the Photos section of the web app.