Get Your IRS Tax Questions Answered at H&R Block For Free

Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.


Get Your IRS Tax Questions Answered at H&R Block For Free Screenshot 2010 02 17 08h 45m 38sHere in the U.S., the deadline for filing our tax returns is a little less than two months away (April 15th, for those of you don’t know.) And the folks at H&R Block have set up a website and produced a free iPhone app to answer IRS tax questions.

Sure, the H&R Block answer service is a marketing tool to advertise their services. However, browsing the web and iPhone app, you can quickly see how useful the service is, whether you need the company’s tax preparation services or not.

IRS tax questions

Both the website and iPhone app formats for the Q&A service work in similar ways, but I prefer the iPhone app as the easier and less cluttered of the two formats.

IRS tax questions

One of the features of the iPhone app is the 30-second quizzes about tax issues and common IRS tax questions. Here, try this sample quiz:

  1. Can your business deduct the cost of gifts to your clients? Yes/No
  2. You don’t have to live in your home when it’s sold to qualify for the capital gains exclusion? True/False
  3. Capital gains tax is on the appreciated value of an asset such as stock. True/False
  4. You can deduct the mortgage interest for 2 residents at a time. True/False
  5. As a volunteer, is the value of your time or service deductible? Yes/No

(See correct answers at the end of this article.)

IRS tax questions

The main part of the app of course is the Q&A, which consist of three parts: Recent and Popular IRS tax questions, and questions and answers broken down into categories. The last section is for you to ask your own questions, which requires a sign-up and log-in.

Many of the questions I read were very typical and practical for most tax payers. Questions range from, “How do I fill out my taxes if my spouse passed away in 2009?” to, “I am currently buying a home. I am a first time homebuyer. Can I get the homebuyer tax credit for my 2009 taxes if I’m buying the home in 2010?”

All IRS tax questions are answered by H&R Block experts, and each answer is typically no longer than a paragraph or two. And the answers don’t end in a sales pitches to have H&R Block do you taxes for you.

Questions and answers are also broken down into categories which include: Deductions & Credits, Work, Education, Real Estate & Rentals, Small Business, Retirement, Product, Investments, and Miscellaneous.

Finally, there’s a Glossary section that defines tax terms such as Accounting Period, Annuity, Casualty Loss, Child Tax Credit, Dividend, Hardship Withdrawal, etc. Of course, the app also includes information for contacting local H&R Block offices, including locations and maps, and the tax preparation products the company sells.

Get Your IRS Tax Questions Answered at H&R Block For Free taxapp 121

In addition to Q&A”˜s, the web format includes Tax Tips & Calculations, and a few blog posts which seem pretty new to the site. There are no blog archives for years prior to 2010.

Unless you’re a business or have complicated tax return issues, most tax returns can be completed without hiring someone to do the job for you. H&R Block”˜s Q&A iPhone app and website might well be adequate for your needs.

So do you complete and file your own tax returns or do you hire someone? What resources do you use to get taxes done?

Answers to quiz: 1) Yes 2) True 3) True 4)True 5) No

Explore more about: Money Management, Tax Software.

Whatsapp Pinterest

Enjoyed this article? Stay informed by joining our newsletter!

Enter your Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Mike
    December 22, 2017 at 2:18 pm

    As far as I can see, there is no website to ask questions. I've tried the website link and there is nothing but ads.

  2. rowena nakamura
    September 22, 2016 at 8:39 am

    Hey ! I was fascinated by the information . Does someone know if my company might obtain a template Form 8880 2010 form to fill in ?

  3. Brian
    April 21, 2016 at 4:29 pm

    If you are getting a refund back does it make since to fill out form 8880 to claim the "Savers Credit"?

  4. Pattie
    February 10, 2016 at 7:43 pm

    If my 19 year old full time college student who lives with us except when at college earned
    over $4,000. during her summer & holiday breaks, can we still claim her as a dependent?
    Has there been a change in Federal Tax laws as my husband said we can not claim her
    anymore since she earned over $4,000? But we support her, pay her tuition, room & board,
    books, etc. Also, she doesn't make enough money to file on her own and she is a dependent in my health care plan? Thank you for your assistance.

  5. jo kelly
    January 4, 2016 at 7:57 pm

    my mother lives with me and gets 398 social security a month only income..I pay everything else way over half..can I claim her or file head of household?

  6. Sandra
    December 8, 2015 at 7:02 am

    My husband and I was given perminate conservatorship of our grandson through cps court. My husband is on ssdi. Can he file even though they do not hold taxes out so we can claim our grandson? He has lived with us a little over a year now and is 2 yrs old

  7. Maggie
    February 5, 2015 at 2:15 am

    Can i receive or pick up copy of tax returns for 2013 and 2014? Moved and r packed, not exactly sure where i placed Them, just need a copy of them. Thank you,

  8. sheila packard
    January 27, 2015 at 12:44 am

    I sold stocks to invest in a start up co. The co. Opened in Oct so of course no money has been made yet. How do I claim my investment so that it is not income ?

  9. Aibek
    May 21, 2010 at 8:28 am

    Hi Cyndy

    that question should be asked on the site itself, not here.


  10. Cyndy
    May 20, 2010 at 7:41 pm

    My daughter and husband have five dependent children 17-4yr. 17yr and 14 yr birth mother died and they receive SS for the last Six years. 2009 my husband lost his job for 7 month and our income was much lower. We were told that because we did not make enough money that we could not claim the two older children because their SS paid to my son-in law on their behalf was more than 50%0f their 1/7 of income. They received $2500 less in return.....These children have always been my son-in laws and he as always been able to claim them until the worst year of their married lives.....Can someone explain or please tell us there is an exception?

    • cyndy
      May 20, 2010 at 7:43 pm

      you meant the son in oaw lost his job! oops

    • Aibek
      May 21, 2010 at 6:28 am

      Hi Cyndy

      that question should be asked on the site itself, not here.