Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
We recently covered how to take screenshots on Android TV. But there are lots of different set-top boxes out there, and few of them make it as easy to take a screenshot as Android TV does.
One of the most laborious devices to take a screenshot on? Roku. Almost any Roku article on any site uses photos of a television rather than screenshots. That’s how bad it is.
Alas, just because it’s hard to take a screenshot on Roku doesn’t mean it’s impossible. It just comes with one huge caveat. Let’s take a closer look.
How to Take Screenshots on Roku
Taking a screenshot on Roku is not easy. You need to follow the step-by-step instructions below carefully.
- Press Home 3x + Up 2x + Right + Left + Right + Left + Right in sequence on your Roku remote. It will put your device into Developer Mode.
- Choose a username and password.
- On your Roku, go to Settings > System > About and make a note of your device’s IP address.
- Open a browser on your computer, enter the Roku’s IP address, and press Enter.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click on Upload to sideload the app you want to take a screenshot of.
- Select Utilities in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on Screenshot.
- Save the image to your computer.
Note: Per the instructions above, you can only take a screenshot of an app you’ve sideloaded. You can find sideload-able installer files for most popular apps with a simple Google search.