Google Now was a hallmark feature when it first arrived on Android. Having information you care about shown to you without even asking for it was pretty neat, and it only got better over time.
Now, the company has replaced Google Now with the “Google Feed”. It’s part of the Google app, and while it’s essentially the same feature, it has a few differences.
One of these is a lack of swipe-to dismiss, a feature common across Android. Instead of simply swiping away Google Now cards when you’re done with them, you have to tap the three-dot menu on a card and choose Hide this story. But you can restore swipe-to-dismiss with a bit of work (this may not work on every device).
How to Swipe-to-Dismiss Google Feed Cards
- First, install Nova Launcher. This is one of the best alternative Android launchers, and while it doesn’t support the Google feed natively, we’ll add it with a separate app.
- Set up Nova Launcher as your default home screen by following the prompts after opening it.
- Install the Nova Google Companion APK. This is a workaround app that adds the Google Now feed as a leftmost screen in Nova Launcher for easy access. (You’ll need to sideload the app since it’s not from Google Play.)
- Once you’ve sideloaded the Google Now APK, tap it in your app drawer to integrate it. Then open the Nova Settings app on your phone.
- Select Integrations from the list and enable Google Now Page.
- Simply swipe to the leftmost screen on your home screen to access the Google Now feed.
Because this Nova app isn’t the latest Google feed version, it still includes the swipe-to-dismiss gesture. This means you won’t get the latest fancy look of the Google feed, but it’s worth giving up if you really love swiping to clear cards.
Now that you’re using Nova, consider upgrading to Nova Launcher Prime to access its powerful features.
Explore more about: Google Now.