Entertainment iPhone and iPad

PSA: Subscriptions Cost More When Bought on an iPhone!

Ben Stegner 10-01-2017

It’s convenient that you can buy subscriptions right through your phone. You don’t need a long trek to a store so you can pick a voucher card. From services like PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Xbox Live vs. PlayStation Plus: What Do You Get With Each? If you're got a PS4 or Xbox One, you've probably thought about subscribing to PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold. Let's see what they offer gamers for the price. Read More  to renewing prepaid phones, your phone is a hub for payments these days.


However, there’s an important fact you should know so you can avoid getting ripped off if you have an iPhone or iPad: whenever you make an in-app purchase What Are In-App Purchases & How Can I Disable Them? [MakeUseOf Explains] "I can’t believe it!" my cousin said to me the other day, "someone’s just bought a $10 in-app purchase on my mother’s phone, and she doesn’t even know what I’m talking about!". Sounds familiar? How... Read More , Apple takes 30% of the profits and the developer gets the other 70%. This applies to everything from free-to-play game credits to subscriptions for music streaming services.

To combat this, music subscriptions cost 30% more than their normal prices if you purchase them through your iPhone. Spotify Premium, which we’ve lauded as well worth the cost Is Spotify Premium Worth Its Premium Price? Is Spotify Premium worth its premium price? Discover what Premium offers and whether you should upgrade from Spotify Free. Read More , is normally $10 per month but costs $13 per month through the iOS app. Over a year, that’s $36 wasted that you could have spent elsewhere!

Spotify offers instructions on its website for getting the lower price if you’ve subscribed through iOS, and it’s a similar process elsewhere. You should cancel your current subscription and sign up for the Premium plan through the website, not the iPhone app.

It’s a good idea to have a look through all your subscriptions. Check the prices on the main website for each so that you’re not paying 30% more than you should. There’s absolutely no reason to pay the upcharge.


Have you subscribed to any services through iOS apps, and did you realize you were getting ripped off? Let us know which subscriptions you’ve fixed!

Image Credit: pathdoc via Shutterstock

Related topics: Save Money, Subscriptions.

Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.

Whatsapp Pinterest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *