How to Strip Unnecessary Subtitles From MKV Files
The Matroska Multimedia Container (MKV) file is one of the more common formats you will come across. Often, an MKV file includes several language-specific subtitles.
The subtitles hijack the lower part of the screen, and they can come in the way of enjoying the video, whether on a computer, TV, or smartphone. Or maybe you want to save a subtitle-free version for your personal collection.
Either way, the solution is simple — and all you have to do is drag and drop. With one free tool, you can strip non-hardcoded subtitles from MKVs.
How to Strip Subtitles from MKV Files
MKVToolNix is a free tool available for Windows (both 32-bit and 64-bit), macOS, and Linux. You can download it as an installer or a portable 7ZIP archive.
MKVToolNix is a small package of tools that allows you to go under the hood of a Matroska file and create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, or extract the files. It also works with some other video formats and video codecs.
- Install and run the application. The GUI will show a blank interface at first.
- Drag and drop your MKV file or browse to open it from the File menu.
- The interface will display a lot of information about the codecs and files in the MKV container file. For instance: video and audio, subtitles, chapters and tags.
- Deselect the checkbox for the subtitles (or the multi-lingual subtitles) you do not want. Give your video file a name and the destination where it will be saved. Click the Start multiplexing button and the tool will go to work. Multiplexing is a video processing technique where separate parts of the video are combined into one file.
- Glimpse the progress in the two bars at the bottom or in more detail with the Job output screen. This screen tells you the time remaining for the complete task. You can also queue multiple video files and batch process them.
There are other tools that can remove subtitles from a video file. Handbrake is another popular option. Have you ever felt the need to remove subtitles from a video clip? Which is your preferred method?
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.