Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
Valve has announced the best-selling Steam games of 2016. The list includes titles old and new, full-price and free-to-play, and mainstream and indie. Pretty much every genre is covered too, making this list a good introduction for anyone looking to start a Steam collection.
If you’re a PC gamer you probably bought a game or 12 on Steam last year. You may not have played all of the games you bought yet, but that’s unlikely to stop you buying even more as we head into 2017. Because most gamers buy games they’ll never have the time to actually play.
Which is the perfect paragraph to preface Valve’s list of the Top 100 Best Sellers of 2016.
The full list of 100 games makes for interesting reading, with the variety of genres, price points, and studios extremely encouraging. However, we’re only going to list the Top 12, which are the games which went Platinum (according to Steam’s own measure of success) in 2016. Behold!
In no particular order, the 12 Steam games which generated the most revenue in 2016 are Grand Theft Auto V, Dota 2, Rocket League, Total War: WARHAMMER, Dark Souls III, Fallout 4, XCOM 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Tom Clancy’s The Division, No Man’s Sky, Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Steam Announces the First Steam Awards Winners
As well as announcing the best sellers of 2016, Valve has also revealed the winners of the first-ever Steam Awards. There were 12 categories, with fans voting for the winners in each. Interestingly, the majority of the winners were games released well before 2016.
- The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award: Portal 2
- The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award”Award: Euro Truck Simulator 2
- The “Test of Time” Award: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
- The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award: Grand Theft Auto 5
- The “Game Within A Game” Award: Grand Theft Auto 5
- The “I’m Not Crying, There’s Something In My Eye” Award: The Walking Dead
- The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award: Goat Simulator
- The “Boom Boom” Award: Doom
- The “Love/Hate Relationship” Award: Dark Souls 3
- The “Sit Back and Relax” Award: Euro Truck Simulator 2
- The “Better With Friends” Award: Left 4 Dead 2
Are you surprised at Steam’s Best Sellers of 2016? How many of the 100 titles listed do you own? Which games do you think deserved to sell in greater numbers? Did you vote in the first Steam Awards? Do you agree with the winners? Please let us know in the comments below!