Every once in a while, I’ll run into a program that has so many features that I feel intimidated just looking at it. Programs like this are so powerful and monstrous that I won’t even know where to start and I’ll feel like I’m being pummeled in the face with a massive learning curve.
Fortunately, Bitdefender Total Security 2013 is packed full of features without the impossible learning curve. This thing is a gargantuan software package that has everything you’ll ever need when it comes to computer security. I’ve never seen such a comprehensive protection suite.
Bitdefender Total Security 2013 is available for $79.95 USD on Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8. For a package as useful as this, the price tag is definitely worth it. However, we’ve got a great offer for you, MakeUseOf readers! This week, we’ll be giving away 25 copies of Bitdefender Total Security 2013 worth a total of $2,000 for FREE!
Do you want a copy? Of course you do. Procuring one of these free copies is extremely easy, too — all you have to do is read through this review. The giveaway details will be at the bottom of this post.
Bitdefender Total Security 2013 is a big beast of a defender. As such, it will require a good amount of computer firepower. It uses nearly 1 GB of hard drive space and you’ll need a CPU with a decent speed as well as a sizeable portion of RAM.
If you don’t use all of the available features, then it’s possible that you’ll be able to get by with a computer that isn’t as powerful. For best performance, though, you’ll want to stick to the recommended specifications.
Antivirus & Antispyware
Bitdefender Total Security 2013’s antivirus and antispyware scanner is both quick and effective. You’ll have a choice from 5 different modes when running a scan:
- Quick Scan: A typical scan, usually used for regular maintenance.
- System Scan: A slower but fuller scan that digs into the recesses of your computer for problems.
- Custom Scan: Pick and choose where you want to scan.
- Vulnerability Scan: Search for vulnerabilities in your system (as opposed to infected files).
- Rescue Mode: Restarts your computer and runs in a safe mode to remove viruses from your system.
Bitdefender Total Security 2013 not only protects your computer from software threats, but it can also help when you’ve physically lost your device. If someone breaks into your car and steals your laptop, the Antitheft feature gives you a few options on how to respond.
Using the MyBitdefender dashboard (which you can find online), you can:
- Locate your missing device by using Google’s WiFi geolocation and IP localization.
- Lock access to your device by using the Windows native API. This lock can be lifted by entering a PIN code into the device. This PIN can be set through MyBitdefender.
- Wipe all of the data from your device in case your device has sensitive information that cannot be shared. This option will use special rewriting techniques to ensure that recovery of data is impossible.
With the Firewall feature, you can enable and disable certain types of traffic, specific programs and applications, and you can even set different trust levels for different network adapters (if your computer has more than one). The Firewall will constantly monitor your network activity and alert you when sketchy things happen.
Bitdefender Total Security 2013 will help clean up your computer and optimize its performance. Using the Tuneup feature, you can run a number of routines.
- PC Clean-Up: Scans your computer for unnecessary files to free up space.
- Disk Defragmenter: Defragments your hard drive for faster load times.
- Duplicate Finder: Finds duplicates to free up space.
- Registry Cleaner: Organizes and cleans the Windows Registry for performance.
- Registry Recovery: In case you want to roll back to a previous version of the Windows Registry.
The Parental Controls feature is a way to monitor and limit the Internet access of one or more persons. Through the MyBitdefender dashboard, you can log and view the Internet activity of someone, including: browsing habits, application usage, instant messaging, SMS texting, and Facebook activity.
Safebox is a feature that allows you to back up and sync your important data on Bitdefender’s secure online servers. Local files and folders on Safebox will be synchronized with other clients registered to the same Bitdefender account. With Safebox, changes made to your files are saved so that you can recover deleted files and restore changes to a previous version.
Bitdefender Total Security 2013 comes with 2GB of free storage and integrates directly into Windows Explorer.
Safepay is a hardened browser that offers protection when using data-sensitive services, such as when you check your bank records or make online transactions. Bitdefender’s Safepay browser automatically detects when you’re using an online banking or online payment website.
Safepay also has Hotspot Protection, which will secure your online transactions when using a public Internet connection by creating an unbreachable connection between you and the online shop or bank. Further protect yourself by using Safepay’s Virtual Keyboard to type in your details and avoid nasty keyloggers from stealing your information.
Download a copy of Bitdefender Total Security 2013 and try it absolutely free. Again, we’re giving away 25 free copies to all of our loyal and beloved MakeUseOf fans and readers. As a reminder, Bitdefender Total Security 2013 only runs on Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
How do I win a copy of Bitdefender Total Security 2013?
It’s simple, just follow the instructions. Please note that we’ve included a new entry method which utilises your MakeUseOf points.
Step 1: Fill in the giveaway form
Please fill in the form with your real name and email address so that we can get in touch if you are chosen as a winner. Click here if you can’t view the form.
Step 2: Share!
You’re almost done. Now, all that’s left to do is to share the post!
This giveaway begins now and ends Friday, July 6th. The winners will be selected at random and informed via email.
Spread the word to your friends and have fun!
Interested in sponsoring a giveaway? We’d love to hear from you.