Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.
Between Instagram stories, live video, and your regular feed, there’s a ton of ways to connect with your growing list of followers . If you’re interested in going live but nervous or confused to start, just check out these instructions on how to get started.
Make sure you have the latest version of Instagram before you get started.
How to Start a Live Video on Instagram
- Open Instagram and go to your feed.
- Tap your profile picture with the plus button in the top left corner.
- The first time you tap the button, you’ll be prompted to grant Instagram access to your Camera and Microphone if you haven’t already.
- When the camera opens, slide the selection over to the Live option.
- Instagram will let you know that it will notify some of your followers that you’ve gone live.
- You can select the front or back camera by tapping the arrow button, and you can also add a Snapchat like filter to your video before you go live.
- Tap the Start Live Video button to get started.
What You Can Do While Live
Once you go live, you should see a live icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
- You can invite other Instagram users to join your livestream.
- You can switch filters and the camera in use while you’re live.
- If you close the app while you’re live, the livestream will be paused.
- You can type comments while you’re live or turn off commenting altogether.
Ending the Livestream and Saving Your Video
Once you’re done tap the the End button to end the livestream. You have a few choices for what you can do with the video:
- Tap the download button in the top right corner to save the video to your phone.
- You can choose to share your video for another 24 hours so more of your followers can view it if they weren’t online while you were live. After the 24 hour period is over, the video will disappear.
- You can view who has viewed your Instagram live video while it was live, and who has watched the replay.
For more on Instagram, check out how to view your Instagram DMs online .
Image Credit: furtaev/Depositphotos