What do you do when you want to share a picture of your computer screen with someone you know? The simplest way would be to hit the Print Screen button, paste the resulting image into an image editor, crop and resize to your desired dimensions, save it, upload it, then share the link. Well, maybe the process is not as simple as it should be. Ashampoo Snap 6 steps in to fix that.
There are a few tools out there that make it easier to take screenshots. Some even have the option to auto-upload the taken screenshots to an image host for quick sharing. However, I’ve never seen a tool that’s as feature-complete as Ashampoo Snap 6. Not only does it aid in taking screenshots, and not only does it make sharing easy, but it comes with a suite of tools for editing the screenshot in post-production.
Ashampoo Snap 6 is available for $19.99 USD on Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8. But for you, MakeUseOf readers, we have a deal that you can’t pass up: we’re giving away 10 copies of Ashampoo Snap 6 worth a total of $200 for FREE! Interested? Of course you are. Keep reading to find out how you can win!
Review of Ashampoo Snap 6
Ashampoo Snap 6 is built with usability and convenience in mind. It sits quietly in the background of your computer and runs all the time so you can quickly press a hotkey or bring up the menu and take a screenshot when it’s most convenient for you.
The Ashampoo Snap 6 interface is just a small toolbar that auto-hides along the side of your screen. Once you hover over it, it pops out and you can choose from almost a dozen different kinds of screen capture methods, including but not limited to:
- Capture Window: Takes a screenshot of an entire single window. When you choose to do this, Ashampoo Snap 6 highlights all of the available windows and all you have to do is click on one.
- Capture Region: Takes a screenshot of whatever region you select with your mouse. The region can be adjusted and moved around until you get the perfect selection down.
- Capture Freestyle: Takes a screenshot of whatever region you select with your mouse, except the region boundaries are drawn freehand with your mouse. Unlike the Region capture above, which is rectangular, Freestyle capture truly is freestyle.
- Capture Scrolling: If you have a window with scrolling contents, such as a website, this option will scroll through the entirety of the contents and splice it all into a single screenshot.
- Capture Video: Want to capture a video of whatever happens on your screen? Ashampoo Snap 6 can do that too in different formats: window capture, region capture, screen capture, etc.
Once you have a capture completed, Ashampoo Snap 6 transforms into a miniature image editor. Three new toolbars show up – one at the top and two on both sides – and your screen turns into a canvas for editing.
- Top: Various control and quick-fix tools such as cropping, zooming, rotating, and applying different effects like drop shadows and watermarks.
- Left: The standard image editing tools that we all know: pencil, brush, eraser, fill, text, highlight, blur, etc.
- Right: Actions for when you’re finished, such as saving, sharing, uploading, printing, etc.
Ashampoo Snap 6 comes with a few advanced features that power users and veteran users will find useful:
- Hotkeys: In the options you can set custom hotkey combinations for all of the different capture modes. If you intend on taking captures regularly, these hotkeys can end up saving you a lot of time and wrist wear.
- Webspace: Ashampoo has a Webspace service that allows you to upload your screenshots to their servers, allowing you to quickly share screenshots with others using Internet links.
- File Formats: Images taken with Ashampoo Snap 6 can be exported in the following formats: BMP, JPG, PNG, PDF, or Ashampoo’s Photo Commander Document format in case you want to save the file for more editing later.
Again, we’re giving away 10 free copies to all of our loyal and beloved MakeUseOf fans and readers. Please be reminded that Ashampoo Snap 6 only runs on Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
How can I win a copy of Ashampoo Snap 6?
We have a new giveaway procedure in place, which will hopefully make participating much easier. You may enter using your Facebook credentials (which will require you to sign into Facebook) or by submitting your name and email address. You’ll receive one entry simply by doing so.
After that, you’ll also be offered various methods to earn additional entries. They range from sharing a link to this giveaway on social networks; to commenting or visiting a specific page. The more you participate, the higher your chances of winning!
Unable to view the widget? Please disable browser privacy extensions and/or ad-blockers
This giveaway begins now and ends Tuesday, July 23rd. The winners will be selected at random and informed via email.