How to Record Gameplay Videos on Nintendo Switch
Capturing your gameplay through screenshots and videos is an important feature of modern video game consoles. Just like you record your desktop for PC games , both the Xbox One and PS4 allow you to capture what’s on screen and share it with friends.
Until recently, the Nintendo Switch didn’t allow you to capture any video . With a recent update, Nintendo has added a basic screen recording function, though it has some limitations.
How to Record Video on Nintendo Switch
To record video on your Switch, do the following:
- Make sure your console is up-to-date. This happens automatically, but you can visit Settings > System > System Update to make sure you’re current.
- You must be playing a compatible game to capture video. At the time of writing, these are The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, and Skyrim.
- Press and hold the Capture button (on the left Joy-Con or left side of the Pro Controller). The system will capture the last 30 seconds of your gameplay.
- To access your clips, press the Home button to access the main menu, then select Album to review them all.
- Select a video here with A, and you can Trim it if needed. Like screenshots, you can Share it on Facebook or Twitter with the menu.
Unfortunately, the recording is only in 720p so it’s not the best quality. But if you’re playing a game that supports the feature, it’s a great way to capture that “Holy cow!” moment.
If you want to take your capturing to the next level, check out our review of the Razer Ripsaw capture card .
Have you taken any clips of Switch games? Do you enjoy sharing videos of your accomplishments with friends? Tell us in the comments!
Image Credit: leungchopan/Depositphotos
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.