If your library offers ebooks, one of the easiest ways to search for and check out ebooks is through Overdrive, the leading digital reading platform for libraries and schools worldwide.
But you’re probably not thinking about reading those ebooks on your computer are you? Enter Libby, a mobile app (Android, iOS, Microsoft) meant precisely for reading library ebooks, particularly if you don’t have a Kindle.
So why Libby?
- If you’re a member of more than one library, you can access each of those library’s ebook library through Libby. You can switch between the different libraries within the app.
- If you’re waiting to read a popular book that requires you to place a hold, you can do this through Libby and the app will also give you a sense of how long your wait might be.
- If you have a Kindle, you can still use the app to search for Kindle books. Go to preferences and under Compatibility select Kindle. Kindle books through Libby are only available from US libraries. If you want to add a book to your Kindle, go to your Shelf and tap Actions > Select Reading Devices. Tap where it says I read my books in Libby and select On my Kindle from the drop down menu. When you open a compatible book, tap Send to Kindle and it will open up an Amazon link where you can get the book delivered to your Kindle device.
- You can use the app to be a part of the world’s largest online book club.
You can borrow ebooks for 21 days after which they’re automatically returned. (So this is also a great way to avoid late fees by checking out the physical book.)
How to Add Your Library Card to Libby
You can add your library card to the Libby app by doing the following:
- When you open the app tap the profile icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap Add A Library.
- You can then search for your library using your zip code, current location, library name, or city.
- You can then sign in with your library card credentials (i.e. your library card number).
If you have more than one library added to Libby, tap the profile icon and tap Switch Library to go back and forth between your different libraries.
If your library doesn’t have ebooks, there are a few tools that can help you find other libraries that offer ebooks. If you want more of a selection, be sure to check out these ebook subscriptions with unlimited reading plans.
Explore more about: Ebooks.