Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.
While English is a universal language, it is still much better if you can understand and express yourself in the language of the place you are travelling to. However, learning even the basics of a language is too much for most people. If you are one of these lazy people, check out Phrasebook.
It is a personal interpreter app for your iPhone. Like most mobile interpreters you can easily search and look up common phrases categorized by relevant topics – hotel, bank, sightseeing, eating, entertainment etc. But the best part of the app is that it offers the unique opportunity to communicate abroad without any special language skills, as it can speak the translation as required. You simply look up a phrase you want to translate and the app speaks it out loud for you with an accent of a native speaker of that language.
Every language includes over 2,200 most common phrases and words, which are categorized according to the respective topic. Its full-text search function makes it very easy to look up phrases based on a single keyword. The app features 30+ languages, however, only French and Japanese languages are included free with the app. To add other languages, you have to buy them through in-app purchases for $2,99 per language.
It is a standalone app and doesn’t need an Internet connection to work, as all the information is stored offline.
- Language interpreter for over 30 different languages.
- More than 2,200 illustrated phrases words per language.
- Phrases organized into topics and subtopics.
- Fast full-text search.
- Phrases and words are spoken by the app with a native accent for the language.
- Doesn’t require Internet to function.
- Compatible with iPhone and iPad.
- French and Japanese are included for free. Other languages cost $2,99 per language.
- Similar tools – Vocre, Mobile Translator.