Outdoor lighting is key for ensuring that you stay safe while enjoying the outdoors after sundown. But, dealing with wiring can be an enormous headache, especially if you are unfamiliar with the process. Thankfully, there are great wireless outdoor lighting solutions to fit any budget or design.
Most wireless outdoor lighting systems use either battery power or solar power. These options often save you money on power in the long run, while also helping you to design creative lighting displays and decorations.
Choosing the Best Outdoor Light Fixture for You
There are some important considerations when choosing outdoor lighting fixtures. Research these factors fully in order to ensure that your light fixtures are a safe and effective choice for your home!
- Is the light fixture weather-proof? This consideration is key. You want to be sure that any outdoor light fixtures can withstand the elements. Think about your area’s climate. What temperatures (both hot and cold) does the fixture need to withstand? Will rain, snow, or humidity be an issue?
- How do you control the light fixture? If you already have a smart home system in place, you likely want your new light fixtures to sync with your existing platform. On the other hand, if you don’t have a smart home system, you may want to begin using an intuitive system or consider a light fixture that is activated with motion or a physical on/off switch.
- How do you install the light fixture? Even though these light fixtures don’t require wiring, you still want to do some research into their setup process. Be sure to choose a light fixture that you know how to install and that won’t violate any conditions in your lease.
- How much does the light fixture cost? In a dream world, cost wouldn’t matter. However, for most of us, it’s a pretty clear factor in the decision-making process. Be sure to consider cost before finalizing your design plans — you don’t want any last minute sticker shock!
- Why do you want a light fixture? People generally install outdoor lighting systems to increase a home’s security, to ensure safe mobility in the dark, or for aesthetic purposes. Different lights will better suit different purposes, so it’s a good idea to have your potential needs in mind before you begin selecting light fixtures.
While we can’t showcase every outdoor light fixture on the market, the options below are definitely ones to consider!
If you want to use outdoor lighting to change your outdoor design, these fixtures are great ideas! Wireless functionality gives you the ability to create spaces with your lighting choices that may have been impossible with wired systems.
PlayBulb Garden ($39.99)
Each PlayBulb garden light can be set up anywhere in your yard for an instant burst of light and color. Plug them into a pointed monopod to easily insert them into soil or grass for a more permanent fixture.The lights are solar powered and water resistant, making them ideal for outdoor use. For our full review of some Playbulb products, check out the link below.
Once they are fully charged, they can last for twenty hours, and can be set to turn on/off automatically based on the ambient light. PlayBulb garden lights’ color and effects can easily be controlled from your smartphone. You can use these lights for safety walking along a garden path, to create ambiance at an outdoor party, or take them with you on your next camping trip!
Solar Power Feature Lights
One of the simplest aesthetic options is the use of solar powered lights to highlight outdoor features in your yard. Place these lights so that they shine on a plant or sculpture, allowing you to enjoy its beauty even at night.
Two great feature light options include the Moonrays Solar Power Rock Spotlight, which blends in well with your landscaping, or the Wildon Home Seriously Solar 10 Light Step Kit ($44.99), which lets you arrange 10 attached lights however you wish. These options do not connect to smart home hubs, but do provide great wireless options for outdoor lighting design.
PlayBulb Light String ($49.98)
Another PlayBulb product, the Light String, allows you to design outdoor lighting using a flexible, 33 ft strand of lights. These lights are battery powered and water resistant, so you are able to place them wherever you want without worrying about weather or wiring.
The Light String connects to your phone, which can control the color, timing, effect, and intensity of the light. Coordinate multiple strands to create any design you can imagine!
Security and safety are at the forefront of many homeowners’ minds. Thankfully, there are a number of quality wireless products for outdoor lighting that can help protect your home.
When something triggers the motion sensor, this light uses solar power (with a backup battery) to provide bright light in two directions. Your smartphone can control the light through a Bluetooth connection, allowing you to change the settings and brightness as required. The light can shine continuously for up to an hour if required.
While this flood light may not have Bluetooth compatibility like the one above, it is incredibly hardy. The light will work in weather conditions ranging from -4F to +125F, is water resistant, and has UV protection. You can choose from two modes: the light can either turn on with motion or remain on from dusk-dawn and increase in brightness after detecting motion.
If you aren’t certain that you want to spend a lot on your outdoor lighting just yet, the Frostfire lights may be the best option for you. These lights are tiny (6″ x 4″), but powerful. The lights remain on at a dim setting from dusk to dawn, but shine brightly for 10 seconds after detecting motion. The lights are easy to mount and they are both heat and water resistant.
Okay, hear me out — technically, these three solutions aren’t fully wireless. However, they are very simple changes that make the light fixtures you already have work with your smart home system. So while they aren’t truly wireless, there isn’t any additional wiring required.
Ilumi Outdoor Flood Smart Lightbulbs [No Longer Available]
You can install these lightbulbs in place of any existing flood bulbs you use in your yard. You can control their color, effects, and intensity from your smartphone via Bluetooth. In addition, these bulbs work independently of smart home systems, so they are ideal for smart lighting newbies.
GE Plug Adapter ($69.99)
This adapter allows you to connect any outdoor plug to an existing SmartThings system. Once connected, you can automate and control any light fixtures you plug into this outlet from your cell phone. It is water resistant, with a range of 50–100 feet.
The Kuna security camera and smart light replaces your existing porch light and installation should only take fifteen minutes. Once connected, this unobtrusive fixture monitors the area using a live HD video feed and a customizable alert system. The devices are weatherproof, secure, and inconspicuous, making them ideal for use on most homes.
Smart lighting can seem like an overwhelming task at first, but it doesn’t need to be! These wireless outdoor lighting fixtures allow homeowners to create the environment they’ve always dreamed of and easily protect their homes.
Do you use smart lighting outside? Tell me about how you use it in the comments!
Image Credits: piyaphun/Shutterstock