Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
Security is a feature usually built in each software. However, users often have to give up software that is pretty useful otherwise but don’t provide adequate security and privacy features. OTRProxy solves this problem by letting you make your IM tool secure. Once installed and configured, all your messages communicated through your IM client pass through the OTRProxy where they are encrypted and authenticated.
It works on Windows and OSX and supports SOCKS5, HTTPS and HTTP proxies. You do have to manually add a proxy to each IM client and if your IM client is already using a proxy or behind a firewall then OTRProxy won’t work. Users are authenticated by generating private keys but if you ever lose them, none of your previous conversations would be compromised. OTR also has plugins created specifically for clients including Pidgin and Miranda.
- Encryptes conversations made through any IM client.
- Ensures authenticity through private keys.
- Works on Windows and OS X.
- Similar tools: CryptoCat,OneTimeSecret, Encipher.It, File-Encryptor and Encodor.
- Also read related article: Five Online Encryption Tools to Protect Your Privacy.
Download from @ www.cypherpunks.ca/otr