Are you interested in finding out the top video rentals in your city? Check out NY Times Video Rental Maps, a Google Maps mashup that displays Netflix rentals for twelve major US cities. In addition, you can also view these cities’ rental patterns for the top 100 titles that were frequently rented in Netflix in 2009.
This webpage from the New York Times lets you view the rental patterns of New York, Boston, Chicago, Washington, Bay Area, Los Angeles, Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami through a map by displaying the top 10 titles rented in 2009 in each zip code. You can also browse for the top 100 titles that were rented last year and see how well they fared in each neighborhood and city. Furthermore, the site also displays each title’s Metacritic score as well as a link to its NY Times review.
While most of the data shown is trivial, the website highlights the distinct rental patterns for some movies like Man On Wire, Watchmen, and The Taking of Pelham 123.
- View the rental patterns of twelve major US cities, per zip code, for the last year.
- Compare and contrast these cities’ rental patterns for the top 100 titles that were frequently rented in Netflix in 2009.
- Displays the title’s Metacritic score.
- Provides links to the title’s NY Times review.
- Write comments.
- Share the maps to other websites.
Check out New York Times Video Rental Maps @ http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/01/10/nyregion/20100110-netflix-map.html