If you remember some of the Bond movies or the Bourne trilogy you might recollect the protagonists having a number of passports and identities. Here is your chance to have your slice of “spy life”. No I have not found spy gadgets but I happened to find this:
The Fake Name Generator. However it goes a little farther than merely giving you a fake name. The website can generate names according to the nationality you choose, it gives you an address for the country you choose, gives you a website for your ‘fake self’, an email address, a phone number, mother’s maiden name, a credit card number (with the date it expires on) and even a social security number. Cool or what?
If you are in the US and you happen to need a fake identity while away from the Internet, no problems just Text FAKE to 41411. Following is a test run:
I know what you are all wondering, “What? Why are they doing this? Isn’t it bad? It can surely be misused”. If you were thinking along similar lines I say: “Be constructive, see how many positive uses it can have:
- Quality test data can be hard to come by, especially with laws (such as HIPAA) preventing use of real data. So it can be used for testing.
- Many websites, such as message boards, are poorly designed, making it difficult for visitors from foreign countries to sign up for accounts. Using fake information, you can easily fill out the sign up forms and log in to the site.
- Use fake information when filling out forms to avoid giving out personal information.
- You can generate a false identity to use as your pseudonym on the internet. This allows you to keep your real life and your internet life separate.
- You can get ideas for names to use for characters in a book or story.
- Generated credit cards can be used to test basic client-/server-side validation techniques without accidentally processing a real card.
- Generated national identity numbers can be used to test basic client-/server-side validation techniques without risking disclosure of real information.
If you are indeed going to use it for testing purposes which I suggest you should, you can generate bulk data and download it in csv format. There is however a minor point that I will like to mention that the names are generated by randomly matching a first name and a last name so there is a thin chance that the name it claims is fake is not really fake and someone, somewhere has that very name. However using it with the other information that is generated will make it a less likely clash with someone alive or dead.
As for the credit card number it’s not real, it just follows the format and the expiry date is a date in the near future so hard luck you guys who thought you’d hit the jackpot!
I would reiterate that you should only use this site for legitimate reasons. We at Make Use Of don’t encourage the illegal use of such sites and also because we don’t want to you to get into trouble and lose you!
Have fun, use it for testing your databases, your applications, your scripts or whatever you decide it to use for.
(By) Varun Kashyap – A programmer, tech enthusiast and a blogger who believes in living it “REAL” but loves to find stuff like this. He blogs about such things and tips, tweaks, tutorials and walk throughs on his TechCrazy Blog