There are plenty of benefits when it comes to using Amazon Prime, but if you use a little-known Amazon policy, you could get your Prime subscription extended for free.
If a free two-day shipping package is late, Amazon Prime members can reach out to customer service and potentially get a free month added to their Prime subscription.
This information used to be listed on Amazon’s website but has since been removed. Despite that, people are still benefiting from the policy, so it never hurts to ask.
How to Get 1 Free Month of Prime
- If your package delivery is delayed, go to the Amazon Contact page.
- Under What can we help you with, select An Order I placed.
- You should see your most recent order. If that’s the late order, check the little box next to your delayed shipment. If it’s not, you can click Choose a different order to select the missing package.
- Under Tell us more about your issue select Where’s my stuff from the dropdown menu. For Select issue details you can opt for Shipment is late.
- You can then choose to contact Amazon by email, phone, or chat. Click the button with the method you prefer. (Amazon recommends the chat option.)
- Once you’re on the line with an Amazon representative, you can just let them know that your package is missing.
Does This Always Work?
When we tested this out ourselves, we received a notification that a package we ordered with free two-day Prime shipping had been delayed. We reached out to Amazon on the day it should have been delivered using the steps above, and chose the chat option.
Without even mentioning the free month policy, the customer service representative offered to add one free month to our Amazon Prime subscription, and applied it to the account while we were on the line with him.
That said, others have said that they had to explicitly ask about the extra month. Simply say something along the lines of “I heard that Amazon offers a free month of Amazon Prime for late deliveries. Does this benefit apply to my order?”
According to some reddit users, whether or not you get a free month of Amazon Prime depends on the representative you’re speaking to. In some cases, you may be offered a $5 or $10 credit instead. (If you’re paying for Amazon Prime annually, it’s costing you $8.25 per month.)
You Might Get a Shipping Refund Instead
For those of you who have paid for shipping, Amazon also provides a guaranteed shipping refund if your delivery is late, with some exceptions. To request a refund, you can go through the same steps listed above for free Prime shipping.
Have you had any luck getting your Amazon Prime subscription extended because of late deliveries. Share your experiences with us in the comments.
Image Credit: ifeelstock/Depositphotos