Love the home screen in Windows 8? Bring it to Chrome. The iStart New Tab Page is an extension that brings tiles to Chrome’s new tab page. Organize the default tiles however you like, or add and sort your own.
Not everyone loves Metro and its home screen, but some people must. The creators of iStart are banking on this – their creation hopes to cash in on it. While it doesn’t perfectly capture the feel of using Windows 8, it does approximate the look:
The icons provided highlight some of the most popular sites on the web, from social networks like Facebook and Twitter to news sites from around the planet – all in colored boxes. Wondering where your existing Chrome apps went off to? Scroll to the end — you’ll find them there.
You can remove any tile – and uninstall Chrome apps — by clicking that “Activate Edit Mode” at the top left. This also allows you to re-arrange existing tiles.
Want more customization options? Be sure to click the gear at the top-right to see the settings:
Add more tiles linking to anything you like, or customize the background – it’s up to you. If you don’t like Chrome’s new tab page, iStart is one option to consider.
- Chrome extension that replaces the new tab page with one resembling Windows 8’s start screen.
- Includes icons for a variety of popular sites – horizontally scroll to see them all.
- Bookmarks bar does not show up by default, so you’ll have to enable it system-wide.
- Add your own tiles, or customize the background.
- More: Get an awesome new tab page for Google Chrome.
Check our iStart New Tab Page @ the Chrome Web Store (review by Justin Pot)