ioSafe Bulletproof 250 GB Rugged Portable
If all you have ever wished for is a 250 GB portable hard drive enclosed in a bulletproof, crushproof, waterproof and shockproof aluminium alloy enclosure; you’re in luck! We just happen to have one lying around — it’s the recently released ioSafe Rugged Portable hard drive.
Retailing for $150, this virtually indestructible portable USB 3.0 hard drive was the talk of CES ’11 in January.
Like its desktop counterpart, the ioSafe Solo and SoloPro, the sole purpose of the Rugged Portable is to protect your data from incinerating external factors that would normally destroy regular hard drives. The Rugged Portable is definitely one of the safest ways to transport data.
The Rugged Portable is available in 5400 and 7200 rpm HDD in 250 GB to 1 TB capacities. There is even also an SSD option available in 256-512 GB configurations that come in a titanium alloy enclosure. Both enclosures are crush resistant up to 5000 lbs (for the titanium model) and 2500 lbs (for the aluminium model). Interestingly, the drive is suspended in all six axes of motion within the enclosure, protecting it from up to 20′ drops.
Complete Physical Specifications
- Full Metal Jacket Technology — CNC machined enclosure from a solid billet of aluminum (Al) or titanium (Ti) alloy. Crush resistant to up to 5000 lbs (Ti) and 2500 lbs (Al) yet weighs as little as a pound (Al).
- Full Suspension Drive Technology — Full suspension in all six axes of motion. Optimized for data loss protection from drop and shock of 20′ drops (SSD version) and 10′ drops (250-750 GB HDD versions, 1TB HDD requires optional drive skin) per MIL-STD-810G Method 516.5.
- HydroSafe Technology — Waterproof yet heat conducting barrier to protect against data loss in up to 10′ for 3 days in fresh water or salt water (aluminum version) or 30′ for 3 days (titanium version) per IP68. Protects data even when USB or FW plug is in. No requirement for a connector cap to retain data protection.
- ChemSafe Technology — Full immersion in diesel fuel, oils, hydraulic fluids, aircraft fuels, 12′ depth for 1 hour with no data loss per MIL-STD-810G Method 504
- EnviroSafe Technology — Continuous exposure to UV, blowing sand, blowing dust, rain, salt fog, icing or freezing rain, 24 hours with no data loss per MIL-STD-810G Methods 505.4, 506.4, 509.4 and 510.
- AltiSafe Technology — High altitude operation. 15K ft. (Alum.) and 30K ft. (SSD and Ti.) rated altitudes per MIL-STD-810G Method 500.4
- Theft Resistant Kensington Lock compatible slot solid metal construction — theft protection
- Genie Timeline Professional ($60 Value) award winning backup software. Simple, block level, open file and OS Continuous Data Protection (CDP) software for Windows users. Disaster recovery for entire hard drive including programs and settings, roll back and AES encryption features for the ultimate protection. Registration required at www.iosafe.com to validate purchase prior to downloading software and install code.
- Apple Mac TimeMachine Supported — Apple Time Machine fully supported. Reformat of device may be required. Simple instructions online at www.iosafe.com
- TrueCrypt AES-256 Encryption Compatible3 – Open source, encryption software. FIPS 140-2, ISO/IEC 10118-3:2004. PC, Mac and Linux compatible.
- USB 3.0 Cable (USB 3.0 version), USB 2.0 compatible
In the event that the ioSafe Rugged Portable is inflicted with physical damage, ioSafe provides a complimentary one time (1-year) professional Data Recovery Service (DRS) to help you recovery your data, not matter the reason (basically anything you can think if, even covers accidents and acts of God). ioSafe will retrieve your data, replace the device and send it back to you. However, this service is only limited to US residents.
Considering to buy one for yourself? Head over to ioSafe and make your purchase.
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.