How To Create A XML Sitemap In 4 Easy Steps
To get your website properly indexed by Google and other search engines you will need a sitemap. A sitemap is a file on your website that shows the search engines exactly what files you have.
There are two types of sitemaps – a HTML page or a XML file. A HTML sitemap is a single page that shows visitors all the pages on a website and usually has links to those pages. The XML type of sitemap is used by search engine crawlers to find out what pages are present and which have recently changed. A XML sitemap isn’t meant to look pretty for the website visitor.
XML-Sitemaps is a free sitemap generator. XML-Sitemaps will index your website and create a XML file that you can upload to the root directory of your website. There is nothing to download or install. Just use the XML-Sitemaps website and they will do all of the work.
4 Easy Steps for Creating a XML Sitemap
1. Go to xml-sitemaps
2. Enter your full website URL. Choose your other options:
– Enter the frequency your website is usually updated from the drop-down list.
– Choose an option under ‘Last modification’. This is the time the URL was last modified.
– Leave the Priority at Automatic.
3. Click ‘Start’. Wait while your sitemap is being generated.
4. Click the link to download the .xml file.
Now you can upload the sitemap.xml file to the root directory of your website and you can submit your sitemap URL to Google Webmaster Tools.
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.