For people who spend most of their time on their desktop PC or their tablet, it is sometimes a hassle to switch to their smartphone to send or read an SMS message. Thankfully, there are solutions that let you send and receive SMS messages right from your desktop. One such solution is MightyText. It is a popular app for Android that lets you send SMS and MMS messages from your computer or tablet using your current Android phone number.
Now they came up with a Chrome extension called Gtext that lets you sent SMS messages right from Gmail using your current Android number. To try it our in your browser, first you have to install the MightyText app on your Android device and then install the Gtext extension in your Chrome browser. Once installed, you will see a “Compose SMS’ button beneath the “Compose” button in your Gmail account.
To send a text message, click the “Compose SMS” button and write your text message just like you would a normal message in Gmail chat.
All your text messages will sync automatically with your Android phone. It is free to use, though, you might incur SMS charges depending on your carrier.
- Send and receive text messages from Gmail.
- Extension for Chrome browser.
- Uses your current Android phone number.
- Messages are automatically synced with your Android phone’s SMS inbox.
- Instant Notifications on computer/tablet when SMS hits phone.
- Takes less than 60 seconds to get started.
- Requires MightyText app on your Android device.
- 100% free. Carrier charges applicable.
- Similar tools – Jaxtrsms .