Google Flu Trends uses “aggregated Google search data to estimate flu activity” in a certain country. Basically, this app consists of an interactive map that responds to your cursor as shown in the screenshot. When you place your cursor over some country you’ll get an indication of the flu intensity in that country from “˜Low’ to “˜High’.
To get more details, click country of your interest and you will be presented an overview with a heat map and a line chart showing the flu trend over a period of time.
Many countries such as the UK, Ireland, Iceland, China and all of Africa are omitted from the map. However you are given results for all of North America and continental Europe where flu trends (especially with Swine Flu) are on the rise.
You can also download Flu Trends Data, which is all of the data concerning flu trends dating back to 2003.
- Interactive map of flu trends dating back to 2003.
- Covers much of the Western World and Japan.
- Run by the charitable arm of the Google search engine.
- Gives you heat map and a line chart showing a flu trend.
- Similar tools: There is a FluTracker and some more in 5 Websites To Get Swine Flu Facts.
Check out Google Flu Trends @ www.google.org/flutrends (by Dean Sherwin)