Gamesharing with a trusted friend is a great way to save money on gaming. You and a buddy can take turns buying games and both have access to them by switching your home Xbox. In this article we’ll show you how to gameshare on Xbox One, explaining the process and noting a few important points.
How to Gameshare on Xbox One
- Find a trusted friend whom you want to share games with. Either obtain their Xbox Live login information, or invite them over so they can sign into your console.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the Guide. Scroll over to the tab with your player icon and select Add new.
- Enter the email address and password for your friend’s Xbox account. Scroll back over to this tab and sign in as your friend if it doesn’t sign them in automatically.
- Press the Xbox button to open the Guide again. Scroll to the gear tab and select Settings.
- Go to Personalization > My home Xbox. Select Make this my home Xbox.
- Now, you can visit My Games & apps from the home screen (even from your own account) and you’ll find all the games your friend owns on the Ready to install tab. Select one to download it.
Have your friend follow the above steps on their console, and you’re all set to gameshare. You can both download games the other owns while still using your own account to play.
Things to Consider When Gamesharing on Xbox One
There are a few important points about gamesharing that it’s important to note:
- This only works for digital games, so physical copies aren’t affected.
- Gamesharing also shares Xbox Live Gold benefits, so you can take turns subscribing with your friend. Also consider an Xbox Game Pass for exclusive deals on games.
- Both of you can play a shared game at the same time.
- You can only change the My home Xbox setting five times per year. This starts when you make the first change, so take care not to change it too often.
- Do not gameshare with people you don’t know. Providing someone with your account information lets them access the payment information attached to your account, so they could go on a spending rampage on the Microsoft Store. Only do this with someone you trust.
- You can change your passwords and gamesharing will still work fine (preventing the above spending scenario). Just don’t change the Home Xbox setting and you’ll be fine.
Now that you know how to gameshare on Xbox One, perhaps you or a friend are in the market to buy a new Xbox console. If so, here are the differences between the different models of Xbox One.
If you ever run into issues, here’s how to reset your Xbox One.
Image Credit: ericbvd/Depositphotos
Explore more about: Xbox One.