Free Cloud Storage Upgrades: Grab 100GB of OneDrive and 2GB of Google Drive
Cloud storage is getting cheaper by the day, but nothing beats downright free. Some of the top services have come up with a few schemes that will raise your online gigabytes without spending a dime.
Get 100GB of Microsoft’s OneDrive for Free
Microsoft has the best offer of the lot, giving away 100GB of space for two years on its cloud storage service OneDrive. Here’s what you need to do:
- Sign up for or log in to Bing Rewards. Bing Rewards is a promotional program from Microsoft with which you get paid to search with Bing , among other things.
- Click “Free storage” in your Rewards Dashboard, under “Earn and explore”.
- Follow the steps to earn your 100GB of free storage space for up to 2 years.
OneDrive already gives you 15GB of free storage space, so that’s a total of 115GB of cloud storage for you, linked to your Outlook.com account. Given its tight integration with Windows, this is fantastic for Windows users, but there are several other great ways to make the most of OneDrive storage .
This offer is now accessible worldwide. You don’t need to use Hola to get it. If it still doesn’t work for you, the Hola way as below is a workaround.
Update: It was 100GB. Now, if you’re a Dropbox user, you can actually get an additional 100GB of free storage on OneDrive for one year. Here’s how.
- Click “Verify and get my storage”.
- OneDrive will ask you to sign into your Dropbox and save a document there on getting started with OneDrive. Just follow the steps and accept the settings.
- Once you’re done, sign into OneDrive and you’ll find another 100GB added to your online storage.
How To Get Bing Rewards Outside the US
- Download the Hola Unblocker extension for Chrome or Firefox.
- Go to Bing Rewards.
- Click the Hola Unblocker icon and select “United States” as the country.
- Refresh the Bing Rewards page.
Get 2GB of Google Drive Space, Permanently
While the OneDrive upgrade offer is restricted to two years, Google Drive is offering to give you an extra 2GB of cloud storage permanently. The crazy part? You get it for completing a security check-up with Google, which is good practice anyway. However, you need to complete this security check-up before February 17 to qualify for the upgrade. With the backdrop of the Safer Internet Day, Google is reminding us about online safety.
Here’s what you do to get 2GB of Google Drive storage:
- Visit Google Security Check-up.
- Sign in with your Google/Gmail account.
- Go through the security check-up steps, which ask you to verify your recovery information, check your recent activity, enable/disable access for less secure apps, and check which devices and apps have access to your account. This is a good time to clean up unwanted apps or old devices from your list!
The storage upgrade will reflect in your account on February 28, Google says on its blog. This offer is not valid for Google Apps for Work and Google Apps for Education users.
Once you get the bonus, there are lots of creative ways to use your cloud storage .
What About Dropbox? There’s 1GB Up for Grabs
While OneDrive and Google Drive are offering upgrades, there is no such move from Dropbox. It can still go head to head with the others in the grand cloud storage battle , but if you’re running out of space, there’s an old offer you can still tap.
A gentle reminder from Dropbox landed in our inbox this morning, telling us that you can get an additional 1GB of free space if you download and use Mailbox. This email app is quite popular on iOS, and recently made its way to Android too .
What Will You Do With 100GB Cloud Storage?
We’ve suggested some ways to use your cloud storage you may not have thought of , but we want to know what you plan to do with OneDrive’s 100GB of free cloud storage. Get creative and tell us your plan!
If you’re looking for a professional cloud service solution that combines remote storage and computing power, these free services won’t cut it. Instead, have a look at Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure.
Image Credit: Bacho / Shutterstock.com
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.