Facebook is making steady progress on Microsoft’s two main operating systems, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8. The social network recently introduced snap view and photo downloads on its Win 8.1 app, and has now pushed another update that brings better tagging and live tiles. The tiles are also the focus of an update on Facebook Beta for Windows Phone.
Facebook for Windows 8.1
The Modern app for Facebook brings support for tagging, one of the main features of Facebook, letting you tag your friends in messages and photos. Additionally, when you add a new profile pic in Facebook, you can also have it set as your Windows profile photo. Here’s a full list of the new features, available for Windows 8.1 only:
- Improved Live Tiles
- Set windows profile pic when you upload a new profile pic
- Download and upload files from messages
- Download and upload photos from messages
- Upload photos to a specific album
- Choose and set your cover photo
- Choose and set your profile picture
- Use your profile picture as your Windows account picture
- Add a secondary tile to go directly to messages (choose this from the app bar in messages view)
Facebook Beta for Windows Phone
Meanwhile, smartphone users can take advantage of the Live Tiles of Windows Phone with the new Facebook Beta v22.214.171.124. Indeed, it’s one of the reasons you can ignore the People Hub. The update brings background images to Live Tiles, with each notification showing you the source through an image; and there are more details available than before too. Similarly, the Messenger tile shows you the unread count and toast notifications. Here’s a full list of changes:
- Faster and more reliable notifications
- Toasts for Facebook chat
- Redesigned primary tile
- Redesigned secondary tiles for chat, events, groups, pages, and photo albums
- Messaging improvements
- Performance improvements
- Support for additional languages
Facebook Beta is a free download for Windows Phone 7.5 and Windows Phone 8.
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.