Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
Doesn’t it sound like something that has gone over to the other side? But fear not, EvilLyrics is still on our side, happily displaying lyrics for the songs we play on our music players. But in the months that I have used it, I have never been able to fathom why they named a nice and simple looking lyrics tool with such a foreboding name.
EvilLyrics is not the anti-hero; it is in fact a savior for the music lover who wants the text behind a tune instantaneously. EvilLyrics is a song lyrics search engine that automatically displays the lyrics of the song being played on your music player in its window. It is a standalone software but stands alongside some of the popular music players in an adjoining GUI.
This has been a distilled explanation so far. There is a lot more that EvilLyrics can do. So let’s take it from the top.
Get It & Run It
EvilLyrics is an 814KB free download for Windows. Installation is snappy and the only screen to pause and ponder is when you have to choose the media player for EvilLyrics to work with.
EvilLyrics works with Winamp, Windows Media Player ver. 9, Music Match, iTunes etc. The complete list and the setup instructions can be found on the website.
Sitting alongside today’s sleek desktop players, EvilLyrics is an ugly duckling. No marks for beauty but full marks for an uncluttered song lyrics search engine. There’s a tool strip on top with easy to understand icons. The long search bar is where the song name for the lyrics search goes. The rest of the software is a large white area for the lyrics (you can change the color in Preferences). There’s also a bottom placed status bar which shows the search status and a few indicator icons.
- As it is a standalone app (not a plug-in), you can start it with your media player and EvilLyrics automatically detects the song being currently played and fetches the lyrics. EvilLyrics can also be used like a manual song lyrics search engine – type in the track title in the search bar and the lyrics gets displayed. Remember, the way a song is tagged determines the lyrics results. Ideally it should be in the standard format (i.e. Artist – Song) and correctly spelt out.
- You can also manually correct information in the song query line retrieved automatically by EvilLyrics from the current track. Returned lyrics are saved in the lyrics cache on so when the song is played again, they are displayed instantly without downloading. You can also view them offline.
- According to the site, EvilLyrics uses general search engines to pick out lyric sites. It uses filters to analyze the query and retrieve lyrics from these sites. If the result is not what you are looking for, you can click the green next arrow to go to the next result that’s returned by Evil Lyrics. Sometimes in the absence of a database, an error is returned.
- You can use the search field for textual search when it happens that you remember the words but not the song.
- You can get the lyrics for an entire album using the album database resource Freedb.org. From the website, grab the album ID number and drag and drop it into Evil Lyric’s window. All lyrics are searched and downloaded one after the other.
- You can search for chords also instead of lyrics which redirects you to an online resource.
- EvilLyrics also helps with Karaoke singing by helping you find and download available karaoke files for songs.
- Additional one touch features like translating lyrics to a language of your choice using the website’s online translator, downloading album covers, album profiles and posters from online sources do also help.
- You can also optionally install the ELLO plug-in which acts like a lyrics organizer letting you view all your lyrics in one place, edit them, search for Karaoke’s timestamps, and join some lyrics into one single file.
EvilLyrics gathers together a nice bundle of features for those of us for whom words matter as much as the sound. But like all search engines, EvilLyrics is only as good as the query entered by us and the resources queried by it.
Where’s The Evil In EvilLyrics?
The free song lyrics search engine belies its name because there is nothing grossly bad about it. The one complaint could be its vanilla plain interface. That apart, there were few misses in my lyrics hunt but then absolute perfection from a search tool is tough to expect. One thing to look out for is to keep the filters updated as they are often the cause of errors or lack of results.
EvilLyrics (ver. 0.1.9) allows us to get to the lyrics as soon as we hear the song. That’s its calling card. Let us know your sound opinion and if you have any other tool that does a snappy job with music and lyrics.