Even as options for iPhone storage continue to grow, we still find ourselves running out of space. There are lots of tips and tricks for creating free space on your iOS device, and one of the easiest is to find duplicate photos on your phone.
The easiest way to do that is to use a free app on your phone.
Dr. Cleaner [No Longer Available] is a free iOS app that scans your photo library and will identify any potential duplicates. Once the app identifies the duplicates, you can scan through the list and select any photos that you want to delete.
How to Delete Duplicate Photos on iPhone
- After you launch Dr. Cleaner, tap the Photos tab.
- Tap the red Start button.
- The first time you run the app, you’ll be prompted to grant it access to your photos.
- Once Dr. Cleaner has scanned your photos, you’ll see a list of thumbnails of duplicate photos. There’s an additional tab for duplicate screenshots.
- You can open images if you need to take a closer look.
- Tap the circle icon to select images you want to delete. (Be sure to tap right on the circle or you may inadvertently open the image.)
- Tap the Clean button.
Dr. Cleaner will also let you know how much space you’re clearing up on your phone when you delete the images.
You’re not going to want to rely 100 percent on an app without scanning those photos first. With all apps that include a duplicate photo finding feature, there are always going to be mistakes, and Dr Cleaner is no exception. Some similar photos and screenshots were mistaken for duplicates, but a quick manual scan ensures that nothing is inadvertently deleted.
In addition to deleting duplicate photos, Dr. Cleaner can also be used to delete or merge duplicate contacts. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your phone clean, be sure to delete or offload apps you’re not using and clear the Google Maps cache.