Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
If you are unsure about the level of protection that native messaging applications such as Facebook Chat have to offer, it is time you switched to encrypted communication. An app called “CryptoCat” could be exactly what you are looking for.
CryptoCat is a free to use web app that offers users an encrypted chat interface. The site is quite easy to use: the chat host creates a room by naming it. He is then taking to the room’s URL and picks a nickname for himself. Next he shares the room’s URL with friends who then join the room by choosing nicknames for themselves.
Your messages are encrypted inside your own browser using AES-256 and 4096-bit asymmetric keys. After one hour of inactivity, conversations are automatically wiped by the site.
- A user-friendly web service
- Offers secure chatting interface
- Encrypts your chats
- Deletes messages after 1 hour of inactivity
- Similar sites: OneTimeSecret, Encipher.It, File-Encryptor and Encodor.
- Also read related article: Five Online Encryption Tools to Protect Your Privacy.
Check out CryptoCat @ www.crypto.cat