Your gamertag represents you to the Xbox Live community. Perhaps you’re regretting the gamertag you created in high school, or didn’t get a chance to set your own gamertag when you set up your Xbox.
Whatever the case, it’s simple to change your gamertag. Here’s how.
How to Change Your Xbox Live Gamertag
- Press the Xbox button to open the Guide.
- Scroll to the tab on the left showing your profile picture.
- Select My profile > Customize profile.
- You can move between several fields on the resulting menu. Press A while highlighting your gamertag.
- Your Xbox will offer some premade gamertags that you probably don’t want. Instead, enter your own gamertag in the box at the top of the screen.
- A gamertag can be up to 15 characters, using only letters, numbers, and single spaces. It can’t start with a number or space, and can’t end with a space. Click Check availability when you’re done.
- If someone else already claimed that gamertag, you’ll see a “Sorry, this gamertag is now reserved. Try another one” message. Otherwise, select Claim it.
- Unless you didn’t choose your own gamertag at setup, this change costs $10, which you’ll see a prompt for before you finish. Confirm the payment.
- You’ve successfully changed your gamertag!
If you chose your own gamertag when you created your Xbox Live profile (which applies to most people), this does unfortunately cost $10. Whether that’s worth it is up to you. Getting stuck with “xXDatAssassinXx” might be too embarrassing and force you to pay up.