Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.
Your gamertag represents you to the Xbox Live community. Perhaps you’re regretting the gamertag you created in high school, or didn’t get a chance to set your own gamertag when you set up your Xbox.
Whatever the case, it’s simple to change your gamertag. Here’s how.
How to Change Your Xbox Live Gamertag
- Press the Xbox button to open the Guide.
- Scroll to the tab on the left showing your profile picture.
- Select My profile > Customize profile.
- You can move between several fields on the resulting menu. Press A while highlighting your gamertag.
- Your Xbox will offer some premade gamertags that you probably don’t want. Instead, enter your own gamertag in the box at the top of the screen.
- A gamertag can be up to 15 characters, using only letters, numbers, and single spaces. It can’t start with a number or space, and can’t end with a space. Click Check availability when you’re done.
- If someone else already claimed that gamertag, you’ll see a “Sorry, this gamertag is now reserved. Try another one” message. Otherwise, select Claim it.
- Unless you didn’t choose your own gamertag at setup, this change costs $10, which you’ll see a prompt for before you finish. Confirm the payment.
- You’ve successfully changed your gamertag!
If you chose your own gamertag when you created your Xbox Live profile (which applies to most people), this does unfortunately cost $10. Whether that’s worth it is up to you. Getting stuck with “xXDatAssassinXx” might be too embarrassing and force you to pay up.