How to Change Taskbar Icons for Programs in Windows 10
You’ve decked out your Windows 10 Taskbar exactly the way you want it, but something’s not perfect yet: the icons on your Taskbar need some sprucing up. Whether one of them is ugly and outdated, or you’d rather set them all to one theme, know that it’s definitely possible.
Note that these instructions only work for traditional desktop programs, not apps from the Windows Store!
- Pin the program to your Taskbar. To do this, search for it using the Start Menu, then right-click it and choose Pin to Taskbar.
- Right-click the new icon in your Taskbar. You’ll see the program name above Unpin from Taskbar. Right-click on this name again and choose Properties.
- You’ll see the properties window. Switch to the Shortcut tab if you’re not already there, and click the Change Icon button.
- Click the Browse button and browse to the new icon file on your PC. If you don’t have any, check out some slick icon packs or follow the procedure for creating custom folder icons to make them.
- Click OK twice to save the new icon. If you don’t see the change on your Taskbar, log out and back into Windows.
- If you ever want to remove the custom icon, just right-click the program on your Taskbar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Re-pinning it will restore the original icon.
See our guide to customizing any icon in Windows for more icons you can change.
What program’s icon needs a fresh look? Where did you grab new icons from? Let us know how you’ve customized by leaving a comment!
Image Credit: SSilver/Depositphotos
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.