When was the last time you changed your Facebook password? Although there are pros and cons of changing your password too frequently, using the same password as when you created your account eight years ago is definitely not best practice.
Let’s try another one. In addition to Facebook, how many other sites, accounts, and web portals share the same password? Again, if you answered anything more than “zero,” you’re not following the advice of security experts.
Whether you’ve been hacked, you’re worried about getting hacked, or you just want to boost your online security, now could be a good time to change your Facebook password. But how do you do it? We’ll show you everything you need to know.
How to Change Your Facebook Password
Changing your Facebook password is a painless task. Just follow the simple step-by-step instructions below. Note: These instructions only apply to the web version of Facebook.
- Navigate to facebook.com.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Click on the small arrow in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- On the dropdown menu, choose Settings.
- In the left-hand panel, select Security and Login.
- Scroll down to the Login section and click on Change password.
- Enter your old password in the appropriate box.
- Choose a new strong password and enter it twice.
- Click on Save Changes.
If you use a Facebook app on other platforms—such as mobile, tablet, or smart TV—you will need to enter your new password when you use the app for the first time after changing it.
And remember, if you struggle to remember several complex passwords, you can use a password manager to make the process easier. If you ever forget your username or password, here’s how you can recover your Facebook account login .
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.