How to Find Out How Much You Spent on Uber Last Year
It’s tax season, and as you try to tally up business expenses, you might want to know how much you spent on Uber last year. Uber really doesn’t make it easy to download your invoices—you can only download (or request to download) invoices per trip.
Instead of sitting there and downloading each trip invoice one by one, here are two ways you can quickly calculate your annual Uber expenses.
Track Uber Expenses With UberRun
UberRun is available as a free download for Windows, Mac, and Linux users. You’re also going to need to download Chromium and keep it on your desktop in order for the app to work.
One note on limitations before we get started: If your Uber account does not automatically provide invoices, as is the case with UberX rides in the US or UberEats charges, the app will not be able to generate invoices for you.
Uber Run also doesn’t distinguish between personal and business invoices, so if you’re using Uber for both, you going to have to manually remove anything that isn’t relevant.
If these limitations don’t apply to you, the app should work for you by doing the following:
- When you download UberRun, it will prompt you to download Chromium as well.
- Extract Chromium and place it on your desktop. Don’t move it to your Applications folder.
- Open up UberRun and log in with your username and password, and then enter the SMS verification code you receive on your phone.
- Once you’re logged in, select the time period for the invoices you’re going to download: the previous year, last 3 months, last month, and the current year, and click Next.
- Once the invoices are generated click the Download button.
The invoices are in PDF format and are organized in folders by month and year. Any time you want to generate invoices, you have to log in all over again. According to the developers, UberRun does not store your login information.
Track Uber Expenses With PayPal and Excel
For those of you facing the limitations mentioned above, and happen to use Uber with PayPal, you can get that info without connecting your Uber or email account to a third party.
- After you log in to Paypal, go to Activity > Statements > Activity Export.
- For transaction types, select Completed payments from the dropdown menu.
- For time frame, select January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 from the dropdown menu.
- For format, select CSV from the dropdown menu.
- Click Create report.
- Once the report is available in your account, you can download it to your computer and open it in Excel. If you don’t have Excel, just upload the file to Google Drive and you can then open it in Google Sheets.
- Once open, the easiest approach would be to sort the table by column D, or Name.
- Delete all the fields other than the Uber items. You can then calculate the total using the Sum formula. If you’re a more seasoned spreadsheet user, you could skip removing all the other payments and use the SUMIF formula , to find out how much you’ve spent on Uber.
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.