You’re probably sick of putting up with ads in the apps and devices you use regularly. Until recently, the PlayStation 4 was relatively free of promoted content, but Sony has decided to start injecting ads onto the PS4’s home screen.
In the past few weeks, many users have been seeing an ad for Destiny 2 with a Buy Now link:
— Nox (@noxturne_) December 26, 2017
Aside from looking ugly, these ads clutter up your home screen (that’s hopefully full of great games) with even more icons. Here’s how to banish promoted apps from your PS4.
How to Block Ads on the PS4 Home Screen
- On the PS4’s home screen, scroll up to the row of icons above your games and move right to select the Settings tool box icon.
- Scroll down to the System entry and enter that menu.
- Here, find the Automatic Downloads item and select it.
- You’ll see an option named Featured Content. Uncheck its box to turn it off and disable those ads.
- Then, delete the Destiny 2 ad. Highlight the icon, then press Options and choose Delete.
Now you won’t have to put up with annoying ads anymore. It would be nice if Sony used the games you’ve played to recommend other ones you might have an interest in, but a simple ad isn’t useful at all.
Of course, if you already own Destiny 2 (and have used our beginner tips), you won’t see an ad since you already own the game. But it’s worth flipping this setting now so when they decide to promote a new game, you won’t have to deal with it.
Don’t have a PS4 yet? Check out our coverage of the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro to help you decide if you should get one.
Have you seen this Destiny 2 ad on your PS4? Do these types of ads drive you crazy? Share with us in the comments!