With millions of apps on the App Store for iOS, you think there’d be an app for everything. Sadly, that’s not the case.
Sometimes you’ll come across a great website that doesn’t offer a dedicated app. Or maybe you just want quick access to your favorites sites from your iPhone’s home screen. Whatever the case, you can easily add a shortcut icon to any website on the iPhone home screen thanks to a neat Safari trick.
How to Add Website Apps to the iPhone Home Screen
- Open Safari. Other browsers, such as Chrome, won’t work for this.
- Navigate to the website you want to save to your home screen. Make sure you visit the exact page you want to open.
- Tap the Share button at the bottom of the page.
- On the bottom row of icons, scroll over until you see Add to Home Screen and tap this.
- On the next screen, choose a name for the link on your home screen. You’ll see the link so you can confirm it, as well as the site’s favicon that becomes its “app” icon.
- Now just tap the new app on your home screen, and it will open the website in its own navigation window, independent of Safari.
This is a great way to create your own “apps” for services that don’t have them. Video game music radio site Rainwave used above is a good example. It’s a lot better than having to open Safari and jump to a bookmark every time you want to visit a site.
Many people prefer to have an app for everything they use on their phones. With this method, it’s easy to do so. If you get overwhelmed with all the apps on your home screen, check out our tips for organizing your iPhone apps.