Whether you use Firefox daily for work or weekly for pleasure, add-ons can help make your browser experience tailored just for you. These customization add-ons provide a new look as well as a personalized way to use Firefox.
One of the easiest and most popular ways to customize your Firefox experience is by using Personas Plus. This add-on allows you to pick and change the skin or theme of your browser window as often as you like.
A list of categories is available to narrow down the type of skin you would like, for example, there are seasonal, holiday, nature, music, and sports themes. So, when Halloween rolls around you might choose and pumpkin design, for summertime you might pick an elegant beach skin, or maybe you might stick with a theme from your favorite movie. By hovering your mouse over the picture of the skin or theme your browser window changes to show you a preview of the design.
A Personas Plus skin can be added to Firefox immediately or added to your collections or favorites if you are logged in. You can also read reviews on the skin, write your own review, or see other designs by that artist. Personas Plus also offers you the option to create a custom design.
A nice accompaniment to the Personas Plus add-on is Personas Rotator. This add-on will rotate the skins used from your favorites if you are logged in or rotate through random designs if you are not logged in or do not have any stored favorites.
You can choose options such as the category and interval time for the rotation. By default, Personas Rotator will change the skin every minute. However, you update it to rotate at different intervals up to one hour, create a custom interval, or have it rotate on startup. You can also disable the rotation if you would like to keep the skin appearing at the time or you can skip to the next skin if you see one that you dislike.
Personas Shuffler [No Longer Available]
Personas Shuffler is another accompaniment to the Personas Plus. This add-on will change the Personas Plus skin each time the browser loads. This is nice for a fresh view every time you open Firefox. Simply have the designs from Personas Plus you like installed and Personas Shuffler will display a new one each time you open Firefox.
NoiaButtons [No Longer Available]
If you are tired of the boring default toolbar icons, NoiaButtons is a great add-on to check out. This add-on changes the buttons for home, bookmark, full screen, and others to colorful, cartoon-like buttons. This one works with Personas Plus so that if you choose a new skin or theme, you can continue to enjoy using NoiaButtons.
This Firefox add-on is both convenient and great for customization. Colorful Tabs has many features such as different styles, domain presets, and custom colors.
Here are a few of the most useful features of ColorfulTabs:
- The Tab Styles allows you to set the selected tab to be highlighted or blink upon mouse hover. You can also choose and download striped or polka dot patterns for your tabs.
- The Presets allow you to have a tab automatically set to a specific color per the domain. This is very helpful when you have several tabs open at once. For example, if your Gmail tab is always colored red then no matter how many open tabs you have you will be able to quickly switch over to check your email.
- General settings allow you to change the appearance of tabs to create a fade affect for inactive tabs or round the tab edges.
- By turning on the context menu, once you right-click a tab you have options to change the tab color, reset the color, have it recolored at random, or even convert your tabs into mini-mode.
Classic Theme Restorer [No Longer Available]
This handy add-on brings back some of the buttons, tab preferences, and toolbar options from previous Firefox versions; i.e. restoring the classic Firefox theme. There are many customization options with Classic Theme Restorer, so we will take a look at just a few.
- Tab options include curved or squared edges, changing tab location, custom dimensions for height and width, color customization, and a red close icon can even be added.
- Toolbar options include different sizes and modes for icons which can show or hide text, findbar location settings, and the ability to add more toolbars.
- Other options include activating animations for bookmarking, closing tabs, and opening panels along with showing or hiding panel menus and zoom controls. There is also the option to customize the Firefox button, borders, and backgrounds.
Menu Wizard [No Longer Available]
This is a very helpful add-on as it allows you to customize the Firefox menus. You can configure the different menus by removing or adding items, changing the names of items, and even adding Cascading Style Sheets of your own.
Menu Wizard allows you to change the main Firefox panes, Menu Bar, Tab Context Menu, Main Context Menu, and the Bookmarks Toolbar. You also have the ability to change the keyboard shortcuts by adding, removing, or editing the shortcuts.
This is the perfect add-on for tailoring your Firefox menus for those items you use most, while allowing you to remove or hide those that you do not ever use. If you change your mind later, just reopen the Menu Wizard options and make your updates.
What Do You Use to Customize Firefox?
Add-ons allow you to make as many or as little Firefox customization changes as you like. Is there an add-on that you use to personalize Firefox that you would like to share? Feel free to leave a comment below.