6 Tips on How to Manage Your Time Better
We’ve all been there, struggling to manage our time. But don’t worry! With a bit of smart thinking, planning, and scheduling, time management actually isn’t all that difficult.
Here are a few tips to help you out.
1) Figure out where your time goes. Keep a detailed log for one week. Every day, track activities that are unrewarding yet eat up precious time. Automate them if possible, eliminate them if not.
2) Set a couple of milestones for each day. Break each milestone down into actionable steps and schedule it. Remember to write down what the finished task looks like to you. The minute your work resembles that, STOP!
What is your biggest #TimeManagement challenge? Procrastination? Perfection? Email? Too much to do?
— Nicole Bandes (@nicolebandes) October 6, 2015
3) Build time buffers into your schedule. Interruptions are inevitable, and not all interruptions are bad, but if you want to keep them from taking over your day, account for them during scheduling.
4) Work in smaller chunks of time. 90-minute sessions — or shorter — are more productive than 4-5 hour stretches. Mentally speaking, they’re less exhausting, too.
5) Go into a mental Batcave. Lock the door. Mute your phone. Unplug your modem and turn off notifications . Everything can wait until your stretch of 90 minutes is over.
6) Step away from work more often. Indulge in a few activities that you enjoy. We’re taught to believe that work and productivity lead to happiness, but maybe it’s the other way around.
If you’re constantly wishing for more hours in the day, maybe it’s time to change the way you look at time. Instead of measuring time by the clock, measure it by the activities that produce the results you want.
What’s your biggest problem when it comes to allocating or scheduling your time? Share your time management pet peeves in the comments!
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.