Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
Watching videos is a fun and entertaining way to pass the time. If we were to watch every video available online, we could spend a lifetime. If you want to do more with your valuable time than watching shallow YouTube videos, dive into this article, which explores five websites that present fun, mind blowing, and advanced educational videos to expand your mind.
This is probably the first website you thought of when you read the title of this article. That is not surprising, as TED happens to be one of the best sources for inspirational and educational videos online. TED started out as a conference around the topics of Technology, Entertainment, Design, hence the name. Since then, TED has expanded to include more topics and more ways to spread ideas.
One of their latest developments is TED-Ed, a YouTube channel “to capture and amplify the voices of great educators around the world.”
If you can’t get enough of TED, be sure to peek into these articles:
- 6 Mind-Blowing TED Talks About Psychology & Human Behavior
- 2 Ways To Easily Download TED Videos To Your Desktop
On BrightTalk you will find free webinars and videos for business professionals on various topics, including business management, human resources, information technology, marketing, and sales. The site is organized by ‘professional communities’ and sub-topics. You can browse and search the entire archive of almost 8,000 recorded webcasts or view material by topic.
In each community, you will find an overview of the recorded material, along with a list of upcoming webcasts. To watch any of the videos, you need to register with BrightTalk.
According to its tagline, Solve for X is “a forum to encourage and amplify technology-based moonshot thinking and teamwork.” The talks explore radical ideas that may help in solving global problems and help billions of people. Solve for X is a Google project launched earlier this year.
As the name suggests, GREEN.TV is dedicated to environmental videos. The site aims to create real change by educating people through videos and showing them how they can engage and act differently. Launched in 2005 in partnership with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), GREEN.TV has quite a collection of great material and powerful partners to support them.
Do you care about the environment? Then you might also like these articles:
- Help the Environment: Places Where You Can Donate Old Computers
- 7 Websites With Energy Calculators That Can Help You Save Energy This Summer And Live A Greener Life
- The Ultimate 5 Ways to Go Green on Your Computer
- 5 Sites And Tips on How to Go Green and Save Money
- 10 Search Engines To Help The Environment
- 10 Environmental Games That Teach Kids About Earth, Ecology & Conservation
This is not the fanciest site in this collection, but that doesn’t make it less interesting. All Things Science aggregates videos that revolve around Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Genetics, Green Energy, Oceanography, Philosophy, and many other scientific topics.
You can search the site for keywords or browse by channels. Signing up allows you to comment and rate videos.
Are you into science? We have many more interesting articles for you:
- 9 Live Citizen Science Projects You Can Participate In To Learn More About Our Planet & Space
- 10 Ways To Donate Your CPU Time To Science
- 5 Cool Science Experiments You Should Check Out On YouTube
- Top 5 Websites To Research Weird Science Claims
- Stay Up To Date With Science News With These Sites
All major video websites have channels to view content clustered based on a topic. On YouTube you will find a channel for Science & Technology or Education. In Vimeo the respective channels are called and .
Where do you go to quench your thirst for knowledge? Can you recommend any outstanding educational videos you have seen lately?