Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the lights on at MakeUseOf. Read more.
Worried about keeping your email archives online? Need a simple and free tool to backup your emails? If so, then read further. Here you go, five free and different utilities to handle email backups:
Windows only email backup utility that lets you backup all your emails from multiple email accounts and programs into one secure and searchable archive. Import and manage messages from Gmail, Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, POP/IMAP accounts and many other mail programs: search through emails, remove duplicate attachments, one-click backup, etc.
- Backup from: Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Microsoft Exchange Server Mailboxes, AVM KEN! Mailboxes, Thunderbird, Mozilla SeaMonkey, Webmailer, any POP3 and IMAP accounts, from Imported Archive files.
- Search all your e-mail within fractions of a second (incl. the contents of attached documents).
- and more
For Thunderbird users only. MozBackup is a dead-simple utility to backup and restore your Thunderbird profiles, emails, installed extensions and settings. Quick and easy. It can do the same for Firefox as well.
Unlike the above two GmailUploader is a not a backup tool. It’s basically an online service to upload locally stored mailbox files to your Gmail account. If you have switched to Gmail only recently (from Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) and need an easy way to import years old downloaded messages to your Gmail account than GmailUploader is the tool you need. It’s the only free tool you’ll find.
Backup and restore your profile settings, emails, address book, message filters, signatures, blocked senders, etc. It works with 9 popular email clients including MS Outlook, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus, The Bat, PocoMail, Netscape Messenger, Opera Mail, and Incredimail. Please note that the backup can be restored only to the same type of email program from which it was created.
Backup Outlook Express messages, message rules, preferences, blocked senders, signatures, stationery, Windows Address Book, Internet Explorer settings, and your Windows Favorites.
- Create backups for multiple identities.
- Automattic Backup scheduler.
- Back up your data as a self-executable, standalone EXE file that can be executed on any machine, even if Outlook Express Backup is not installed.
- Access individual emails inside the backup file without the need to restore it first.
Know a better way to backup your emails ? Share it in comments.