5 Incredible Facts & Stats About Reddit
If you sit back and think about it, it’s mind-blowing how popular and successful Reddit has become since its inception in 2005. But if we dig a little deeper, there are a few more stats and facts that might surprise you .
1. Reddit has just over 36 million user accounts. That may sound like a lot at first, but it’s nothing compared to Facebook’s two billion users. In fact, Facebook has more fake accounts than Reddit has real accounts! And that’s not to mention how many Reddit accounts are used as throwaway or novelty accounts.
Almost all popular social media marketing texts continually undervalue the push marketing power of Reddit.
— Matt Banwart (@MattBanwart) April 30, 2016
2. Reddit gets over 240 million unique visitors per month, and those visitors generate approximately 8 billion pageviews during that time. According to Alexa, that makes Reddit the 9th most popular site in the U.S. and the 30th most popular site in the world.
3. And yet, Reddit only accounts for 2% of all U.S. social media shares. This is worse than Twitter (6%), Pinterest (7%), and Facebook (81%). Does Reddit play an important role in making memes go viral? Absolutely — but maybe not as much as we think.
If you go looking for negative things on tumblr, you'll find negative things. If you look for them on reddit, you'll find them there too
— Fin (@finblade_) April 16, 2016
4. There are more than 6x as many upvotes than downvotes. A lot of people think Reddit is a cesspool of negativity , but if this stat shows anything, it’s that users are more likely to “like” than “dislike”. Granted, it’s possible that the negative minority is a vocal one.
5. Nearly 900,000 gifts were exchanged in the Reddit gift exchange. Here’s another data point in favor of Reddit as a positive force. Every year, Reddit users participate in a site-wide international Secret Santa… and it’s awesome.
How do you use Reddit? Which subreddits are your favorite? Let us know with a comment below!
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.