5 Curious Facts You Didn’t Know About Your Keyboard
It’s funny to think about, but modern technology wouldn’t even exist if it weren’t for the keyboard. We use it every single day, yet we take it for granted. That’s a bit sad, isn’t it?
Here are some facts that you may not have known.
1. QWERTY is the least efficient keyboard layout. On average, QWERTY requires 50% more movement than Dvorak and 80% more movement than Colemak. In other words, you really should learn a different keyboard layout .
2. When typing, the fingers travel approximately 1 mile for every 10,000 words. This is assuming the QWERTY layout, proper typing skills, and this website’s methodology.
3. Non-Latin keyboards have multiple layouts, too. For example, Koreans may encounter Dubeolsik and Sebeolsik layouts while Arabic layouts may differ depending on whether the keyboard is Windows- or Mac-based.
4. Keyboards are 5x filthier than toilets, mainly because people neglect proper keyboard hygiene. This is why you should be cleaning your keyboard at least once per year, but once per month is even better.
5. Hackers can track every keystroke you make. Keyloggers are a real threat to data security, and they can either be installed programs or plugged-in devices. If a keylogger infects you, every keystroke gets collected — which can compromise bank accounts, credit card numbers, and important passwords.
How many other interesting keyboard facts do you know? Share them with us in the comments!
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.