3 Web-Based Tools That Generate Awesome Tag Clouds
Building a beautiful tag cloud (based on the terms extracted from a web page) is not all about fun.
This post is meant not only to show you the tools that will build an awesome tag cloud for you but also to inspire you and share various creative ways to use those tools.
1. Tagul: Create and Embed Interactive Tag Clouds
Tagul (view previous MUO review of Tagul) is a multi-feature tag cloud generator that requires registration and allows you to build beautiful clouds and embed them on your blogs.
Build and customize your awesome tag cloud
- Name your cloud;
- Copy and paste the source code (or let the tool grab the source code from the URL) and fetch the tags;
- Choose the shape (cloud, heart, star, triangle, pentagram, circle, rectangle) and specify the form angle and aspect ratio;
- Select the font
View the generated tags in a separate tab; you can delete any of them if you wish:
After you build your tag cloud and are fully satisfied with what you see in the preview, save all the changes in the “Preview” tab and embed the tag cloud to your page.
You can view my tag cloud live here (Feel free to hover over any tag to see it dance):
2. Wordle: Beautiful Tag Clouds as Downloadable Images
- Wordle Ideas – using the tool in the classroom
- Techcrunch uses Wordle for Terms of Service Visualizations [Broken URL Removed]
Build and customize your tag cloud
The tool very fast and allows to set quite a few options:
- Set the language preferences and filters;
- Select the font;
- Set the layout and color palette:
Very similar tool: ABC Ya (actually, this one has almost the same functionality). Another more simplistic but still fun one: Word Mozaic – it allows to choose among the huge number of forms and symbols and creates very appealing tag clouds as downloadable .gif images:
3. Tagxedo: Build Awesome Infographics
Tagxedo (see our previous review of TagXedo here) is the most powerful tools in terms of the look and feel of your tag cloud. It builds typography artworks. If you ever run out of ideas on how to use the tool, be sure to check out these 101 ways to have fun with it.
As with the above tools, this one lets you upload the text or generate it from the URL. However, Tagxedo has more powerful filtering options where you can:
- Exclude numbers and common words;
- Combine related and identical words;
- Modify the list by frequency:
Besides that, the tool offers a huge variety of fonts, themes, color palettes, etc. Its most powerful feature is the great range of cloud shapes to choose from:
The result can be embedded (using the iFrame) or saved in the gallery (with the link to the live tag cloud). Mine is here [Broken URL Removed] by the way.
Can you think of other ways these fun web applications could come in really handy? Please share them in the comments!
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.