Backup your bookmarks – and bookmarklets – and use these recommended bookmarklets across all platforms. All bookmarklets were tested on Firefox 3.5 and Safari 4.
Here’s our list of 20 must-have bookmarklets for your browser – feel free to add your suggestions in the comments!
To add a recommended bookmarklet to your browser, click on the bookmarklet and drag and drop to your bookmarks toolbar. Want to save space? Organize your bookmarklets into a folder in your bookmarks toolbar.
- Share on Tumblr – A custom bookmarklet to clip pictures and quotes to a Tumblr tumblelog.
- MapThis – Highlight addresses and click on the bookmarklet to generate a Google map of the address.
- Bookmaplet – Similar to MapThis, highlight an address in your browser and click on the bookmarklet. It will automatically open a Google Map with the address.
- Share on Facebook – Quickly share websites, links and videos on Facebook.
- Spell Check – Activate Firefox’s built-in spell checker in any static website. Great for proofreading websites before they are published or double checking someone else’s work.
- twitthat! – Share websites, links and videos to your Twitter account.
- bit.ly – Shorten links and get great statistics on how many clicks they get with this handy URL shortener. (bit.ly is also the default URL shortener of Twitter.)
- Boxqueue – Add videos to your Boxee Queue for viewing later. You must have a Google account and Boxee account to make this bookmarklet work. Visit the My Feeds section in Boxee to watch your saved videos.
- Twitter Reactions – Read reactions on Twitter about the page you are currently viewing with this bookmarklet.
- Darken – Invert the colors on webpages with a simple click. Some people prefer dark backgrounds and light text, so this bookmarklet’s for you.
- BugMeNot – Stop registering for websites and use BugMeNot’s database of usernames and passwords to sign in to “registered users only” websites, like news sites.
- GmailThis! – Automatically share links via your Gmail account without having to copy/paste the link.
- getASIN – Make Amazon Affiliate links quickly. Just replace usernamehere with your affiliate ID.
- WordPress Comments – Fill in the comment form on WordPress powered sites. Change values to your name, email address and blog URL.
- Clip to Evernote – Save clips of websites to the popular notebook software Evernote.
- DiggThis! – Quickly add new sites to Digg.
- Remove Bloat – Remove bloat from websites such as music, background images and more.
- Subscribe in Google Reader – Subscribe to RSS feeds in Google Reader, skipping the “Google Reader or iGoogle” selection page.
- Google Bookmark – Bookmark websites to your Google Bookmarks account.
- Readability – Click on this bookmarklet to clean up websites and make them more readable.
Some other great resources for recommended bookmarklets (other than nagging the tech guy at your job) include: Jesse’s Bookmarklets Site., marklets.com, and
Which bookmarklets do you use?