20% off the IPad Air, a Cheap Unlocked LG G2 and the Canon SL1 [Tech Deals]
This week in tablets and smartphones, we’ve got a heavily discounted LG G2, a Nexus 7 2013 edition, a 5th generation iPad Air, and a 10″ tablet from HP and a great deal more! We’ve also got laptops, computer components, cameras and memory cards. Dig in for the deals!
Top Tablet and Smartphone Deals
16GB LG G2 GSM Smartphone (Unlocked)
- Price: $394.99
The LG G2 is essentially the exact same phone as the Nexus 5, except better. It includes a better camera, and features such as KnockON, which activates the phone by simply tapping on the screen twice. It also offers LTE and a host of other features, including the Snapdragon 800 chipset.
16GB ASUS Google Nexus 7 2013 Edition
- Price: $169.99; compare to $229.99 MSRP
I consider the Nexus 7 2013 one of the best 7-inch tablets on the market. It offers the Snapdragon 600, chipset, with underclocked quad core CPUs, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and the latest version of Android. Google commits to pushing out updates for at least 18-months following its 2013 release, so it still has a lot of life left. It also includes access to a wide library of custom ROMs and is among the most rootable of devices around.
5th Generation Apple iPad Air with Retina Display Price: $499.99; compare to $599.99 This deal is for the Retina display equipped iPad Air. Apple products tend to cost quite a bit and rarely do substantial discounts show up. This particular tablet comes with a 20% price reduction.
- Price: $249.99; compare to $349.99
- Retailer: Amazon – Buy it Now
As far as 10-inch tablets go, the HP Omni 10.1″ offers excellent specs for the money. For Around $250, you get Windows 8.1, the latest Intel Atom processor, which I believe is based on the low drain Bay Trail architecture. The total battery life comes in at over eight hours, which for a 1980 x 1020 resolution screen is excellent. You also get Microsoft Office, 32GB of storage and 2GB of RAM. It compares favorably in pricing with the majority of 10″ tablets. I don’t imagine Amazon will keep this price for very long.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1″ tablet (refurb) — $169.99 via eBay
- Verizon Moto G Prepaid Smartphone (no contract, but Verizon only) — $48.99 via Fry’s (in store only)
- Lightning to USB cable for Apple iPhone 5 — $0.29 with coupon code ‘EPICPRICE’ via SuperDeal
- Apple Smart Cover for iPads (2-4) — $10.25 + shipping via Tanga
- Hisense Sero 7 7″ tablet (refurb) — $34.99 after $15 MIR via Newegg
- HP Slate 8″ tablet with Beats Audio — $$239.99 via Amazon
Top Laptop Deals
- Price: $799.99 after coupon; compare to $969 MSRP
- Retailer: Newegg – Buy it Now
- Coupon code: EMCYTZG493
Lenovo’s laptop offers dual GT755M, mounted in an SLI configuration (meaning they operate in tandem with one another). It also includes Windows 8.1, a Core i5, Haswell CPU (4200M), 6GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. It’s actually a pretty solid gaming laptop
- HP EliteBook 14″ laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo (refurb) — $164.99 via Newegg [Broken URL Removed]
- ASUS 11.6″ touch screen, with Windows 8.1 laptop — $229.99 via Best Buy
- Asus 15.6″ Intel Celeron, with Windows 8.1 laptop (expires 6/19) — $289.99 via Amazon
Top Desktop Components and Systems
- Price: $88 after MIR; compare to $124.99 MSRP
- Retailer: Newegg — Buy it Now
This is currently the best drive you can get for under $90, by a wide margin. However, there’s a pretty intense controversy brewing over some decisions PNY recently made regarding the Optima series. Essentially, they replaced the internal Silicon Motion controller with a second generation SandForce. The switch makes the Optima identical to the XLR8, except it costs even less. Overall, the XLR8 outperforms the Silicon Motion-equipped drive.
It also comes with synchronous (including toggle) NAND memory modules, which are among the best quality memory that you can find in a consumer SSD. This was even proven during a dissection of both an XLR8 and an Optima. Essentially, PNY is giving you a better drive for less money. And it’s a great deal.
- Price: $219.99; compare to $419.99 MSRP
- Retailer: Tiger Direct – Buy it Now
Seagate’s 600 series solid state drive (what’s an SSD? ) is regarded as one of the best drives, for your money, around. It includes high-end performance with synchronous NAND memory modules. While it’s not the absolute fastest drive on the market, many reviewers believe it to be one of the best drives you can buy. For anyone wanting to upgrade their desktop or laptop, this is a great deal, particular in terms of per-gigabyte pricing.
- Price: 129.99; compare to $184.99 MSRP
- Retailer: eBay — Buy it Now
I consider the AMD FX-8320 the best bang-for-your-buck CPU on today’s market. And at $129.99, it’s a steal. However, before buying, you need to be absolutely sure that your software supports multiple cores. For example, for video editing on Adobe Premiere Pro CS6+, the FX-8320 is great – but other for other applications, it’s not that great.
- PowerColor Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 low profile video card — $9.99 after MIR via Newegg
- Seagate 1TB hard drive — $69.99 via Newegg
- Combo deal: 2TB Western Digital portable hard drive (USB 3.0) + 64GB USB 3.0 thumb drive — $139 via BuyDig
- Samsung 840 EVO 1TB Solid State Drive — $409.99 after coupon code “EMCYTZG483′ via Newegg
- Western Digital 4TB hard drive — $169 via B&H
- Western Digital 2TB NAS hard drive — $89.99 after coupon code ‘YIT130312’ via Tiger Direct
- MSI H87-G83 LGA 1150 motherboard — $66 after MIR via Fry’s
Cameras, Memory and Gadgets
- Price: $449; compare to $599 MSRP
- Retailer: Adorama – Buy it Now
As a proud owner of the EOS Rebel SL1, I can say it’s a great deal. It offers an extremely compact size for a DSLR with a Clear View 18MP. On the downside, it’s crop sensor (EF-S) and the telephoto kit lens (which is an optional $50 purchase) is beyond awful. I don’t advise that anyone purchase the kit lens.
If you do bundle a lens with it, I suggest a 50mm or a 40mm pancake lens as a daily shooter. Lighter lenses augment the compact and lightweight feel of the SL1.
- Fuji digital camera bundle JZ100 + SD card — $49.99 via Staples [No Longer Available]
- Fuji Film X-M1 mirrorless camera with 16-50mm lens — $449.99 via eBay
I’ve got two favorite picks this week: In cameras, I love the $449 for the Canon EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR. As an owner of one, I highly recommend it for shooting on the go. You can’t find a lighter DSLR with a better build quality. My second pick is the HP Omni 10.1″ tablet – it offers a really great combination of features, for a low price. The kicker for me is that it includes Microsoft Office, which is a killer combination for summer school. Combine it with a Bluetooth keyboard, and you have a virtual laptop for $250 + the cost of a keyboard.
That’s it for this week folks! Check back next week for the same great deals!
Affiliate Disclosure: By buying the products we recommend, you help keep the site alive. Read more.